HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

SUPER BOWL

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fairwood Press/Talebones Magazine » SUPER BOWL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:43 pm:   

Well, the Hawks have finally done it. The first Super Bowl appearance in their franchise history, and they earned the right to go with a damned impressive victory over the Panthers. I guess you can imagine we're pretty excited here in Seattle-land.

So what do the rest of you think about the Super Bowl? Seahawks or Steelers? Who's going to win it? (And why?)

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:20 pm:   

Well, as a Denver fan who watched the Steelers dismantle the home team, I'd have to say I'll be rooting for the AFC. On the other hand, the Fischlers are ardent Hawks fans (at least Barry is adamant), that a little of Hawk fever has rubbed off on me.

I guess I'm just hoping for a good game.

Paul Melko
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:19 am:   

Steelers to crush Seahawks.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:14 pm:   

You're such a homer, Paul. <vbg>

Robert Boyer
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:28 pm:   

Seahawks over the Steelers. Tight game, but give the Hawks the nod. Good games from Hasselbeck and Alexander = unstoppable. Other factors: Jeramy Stevens and Mac Strong, to soften the blitzing Steeler D. Watch out for 'em.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   

Yeah, playing in the tough-as-nails NFC West, overwhelming two teams without an offense in the playoffs, stumbling to fluke wins over NY and Dallas -- them Seahags is sure 'nuff unstoppable. :-)

Robert Boyer
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   

Sure, the NFC tweren't strong -- but the Hawks won their division by a comfortable margin, didn't they? I'd be more iffy about them if they'd had to squeak out a title in a weak division.

Carolina without an offense? Everyone was hyping Steve Smith and Delhomme. Sure, they were banged up, but it was impressive what the Hawks did against them.

Yeah, the NY win definitely was wacky; they got lucky on that one. :-) I don't remember the details of the Dallas win...

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 05:27 pm:   

I grant that the Steelers really turned it on the last few games of the season, and then the playoffs. (What has made the difference in their end of the season success, would you say?) But prior to that, most of their wins came against so-so teams (with the exception of the Bears and the Bengals, although they split with them, and maybe the Chargers).

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 06:51 am:   

The Steelers have wins over quality teans salted throughout the schedule.

The difference is Roethlisberger was injured in mid-season.

Imagine Seneca Wallace at QB.

Who have the Seahawks beat:? Six of their wins came against the weakest division in the NFL. They lost to the Skins, were outplayed by the Giants and Cowboys, It's hard tind one good wib on their record. They were life and death with the Niners on the road.

And you ask who the Steelers have beat? They won two out of three from Cinci, beat San Diego, Indy, Denver. Right there they have a better resume that Seattle.

Arguably, Seattle's best win came against a tean (Carolina) that had been stripped of their running game and had one wide-out and played like a schizo all year.

Even a monkey will fart the star spangled banner if you feed it enough beans, so I suppose there's a chance that Seattle will win; but the Steelers are the better team.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   

I was referring mostly to Pittsburg's regular season wins--nothing to crow about (other than the exceptions I mentioned before). I agree their wins in the playoffs have been impressive.

"Imagine Seneca Wallace at QB."

Heh heh. Yeah, that's why they put him in for that trick play against Carolina instead!

"Roethlisberger was injured in mid-season"

So which games did he miss? Was it during the losses in weeks 11-13 then?

It's going to get awfully smelly in Detroit once those monkeys start warming up.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 04:38 am:   

He missed four games in November....and it took him a game or two to get back up to speed.

Good Luck....

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:49 am:   

Game Day! :-)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 08:48 pm:   

Congrats to the Steelers. I'm disappointed in the final outcome, but in a way I'm happy for the Bus getting his Super Bowl ring at the end of his career.

Not a great game all around by either team. There were some questionable calls that went against the Hawks, but in the end it didn't matter: too many mistakes by Seattle, and too many "big" plays by Pittsburgh.

Here's to the Hawks making a run for Miami next year... :-)

Honna
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 09:33 am:   

So, I jumped on the bandwagon for the big-game day and I'm not typically a football fan, either, but I got into the game, rooting for the Hawks and all, but. . .
I've played enough sports to recognition that little tingle of intuition that tells you the officiating may be a little biased. Early-on in the game. Some pretty questionable calls, for sure, and football is just too strange of a sport for me to understand! (I'll forever be in love with soccer-the best sport in the world)
For example, in soccer a goal isn't valid unless the ball crosses most of the goal-line--be 3/4 of the way over--before it counts. Not this little touch of the skin of the ball against the outside of the line.
And these guys smash into each other all game long, some paralyzing blows sometimes, and a guy can't touch his hand against a player's chest?
Strange game.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |