HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Surface, Invasion, or Threshold

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fairwood Press/Talebones Magazine » Surface, Invasion, or Threshold « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:36 pm:   

Now that we're halfway (roughly) through the first season of these new SF shows, what're your thoughts? Which ones are you watching and/or enjoying (if any)?

It seems that Threshold has received the most acclaim (from the reports I've seen), but oddly, that's the one we gave up on first, after about three episodes. Probably has the neatest idea, but GOD, we just couldn't get past the characters. The acting left us cold.

So our early nod is Invasion, although I wish it would move along more quickly.

As derivative as it is at times, Surface at least has kept our attention.

Thoughts? Does anyone even care? :-)

Matt Hughes
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:48 pm:   

I'm watching Surface. It's like an extended sixties-vintage monster flick. Though kind of slow moving. The other two I haven't watched.

But definitely Lost, which I didn't see on broadcast tv but via a DVD marathon, is one of the best pieces of network tv fare to come along since NYPD Blue.

Matt Hughes
Black Brillion now in paperback
The Gist Hunter & Other Stories now in stores

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 08:57 pm:   

Oh yes, LOST is #1 on our list. INVASION airs right after it (although I think it's moving to a new time slot), so we started watching it. Definitely slow to start, but it has really picked up steam the last few weeks.

Matt, I agree about SURFACE and its vintage feel.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:08 pm:   

So far, we guessed right. INVASION and SURFACE have been picked up for more episodes. THRESHOLD is on its way out.

Robert Boyer
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   

Doesn't surprise me. One of the main men behind THRESHOLD was Brannon Braga. I point to him as one of the folks responsible for the downfall of Star Trek TV. VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE were almost unwatchable at times, and his Trek storylines (and I forget who else was in on it) left this viewer cold, cold, cold.

honna
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:58 am:   

No--gave up on the NIGHT STALKER before it was dumped. LOST is still my favorite. SMALLVILLE has improved; that last episode (someone dies) was a tear-jerker at the end. SURFACE and INVASION are fun.
I watch HOUSE and COMMANDER IN CHIEF without Mr. Patrick. Occasionlly wander into THE OFFICE and find it hilarious.
Ah, but too much TV takes away time from other important things. That's why never watching live and fast-forwarding through commercials is key!

honna
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 05:05 pm:   

Good gods,
how could I frackin' forget BATTLESTAR GALACTICA?
My oh my what a wild ride that one has been.

Honna

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:50 pm:   

A good season finale last night for SURFACE. I haven't heard if this show has officially been picked up for next season. It really took off in the last half of the season (after a relatively slow start). I thought it was awfully early to be at season's end already, but then realized it was NBC, and they're probably making room for the Olympics.

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 02:45 pm:   

I'm catching up on BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA via Netflix (no cable). I may try to do the same with LOST, since it seems to be something one should watch in order from the beginning.

Otherwise, I tried THRESHOLD because it had Peter Dinklage in it -- he starred in the great movie THE STATION AGENT -- but gave up in the middle of the first episode. The dialogue was so bad I couldn't care about the plot.

As far as I'm concerned, the only show on TV really worth watching is VERONICA MARS. I know it's out of the genre, but it has filled the hole left by the end of BUFFY. Good writing (on both the episode and the overall season level), good acting, tough female lead, moral dilemmas and fight scenes -- what's not to like? I understand Joss Whedon watches it, too.

I love what good writers can do with the serial potential of television -- SERENITY was a fine movie, but I'd still rather have five years of FIREFLY.

It's just as well. As Honna says, there's a lot to do besides watch television.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   

Well, since you brought up shows other than the title of this topic ones, I watched THE ISLAND and THE CORPSE BRIDE tonight. I thought there was a ton to like about THE ISLAND in the first 45 minutes or so, where the movie makers threw you into the world without any exposition and just asked you to keep up. Very nice. Then, unfortunately, it all became so stupid that only the explosions and chases, as unlikely as they were, made the rest worthwhile.

THE CORPSE BRIDE, on the other hand, was charming story telling from beginning to the end. A couple of obvious plot turns, but they almost felt archetypal rather than cliche.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 08:34 pm:   

On Sunday night I rented ELIZABETH TOWN. Not genre at all, but interesting story telling.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 12:25 am:   

I hear that INVASION has a better than average chance of being renewed for next season. Chalk that up to decent enough ratings due to following ratings-winner LOST.

SURFACE seems to be more of a question mark from what I hear. It supposedly did okay, ratings-wise, although critics panned it from the get-go. It may profit from being on NBC, which had more to gain from a show like that.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 12:26 am:   

I'm with you, Jim, on THE ISLAND. I've still not seen CORPSE BRIDE, but I'm looking forward to it.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:18 am:   

Surprise. Looks like INVASION got cancelled, even though I thought it picked up a lot of steam over the last part of the season. And SURFACE was cancelled earlier I think. So hey, this topic is about over, eh? All 3 shows mentioned are gone after only one year. So much for trying to ride the coattails of LOST.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   

MarsLanding!

Gerry Daumiller
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 08:27 pm:   

Marvin Martian totally tops Surface, Invation, or Threshold!! (He says who hasn't seen any of the latter three).

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   

Heh heh heh. None of the 3 were that great. Threshold we gave up on it after only a few episodes. It came out on DVD today, with all the ones we didn't watch, plus 4 episodes that never aired. Maybe it might be worth Netflixing...

GILBERT J HEROUX
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 01:52 pm:   

It seams every time I get started being interested in a TV show it gets caned. I see SG1 will also not be picked up next season. I guess good SCI-FI is just too expensive to produce.

I bet in a couple of years we will see only the first five shows on TV and the other twenty will only be available on DVD or paid download for your iPod.

Isn't that how they work WWE, WEW, RAW. The only thing on broadcast TV, is a one hour commercial for the Pay-Per-View.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |