HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Year's Best SF, & The Year's Best...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fairwood Press/Talebones Magazine » The Year's Best SF, & The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 09:16 pm:   

Here are the Honorable Mentions (and one reprint!) for TALEBONES for these anthologies:

THE YEAR'S BEST SF, edited by Gardner Dozois
Reprinted: Paul Melko, "Ten Sigmas" (#28)
Kay Kenyon, "The Acid Test" (#29)
David Levine, "Where is the Line" (#28)
Louise Marley, "The Night Shift" (#29)
Devon Monk, "Fishing the Edge of the World" (#28)

THE YEAR'S BEST FANTASY & HORROR, edited by Ellen Datlow & Gavin Grant & Kelly Link
T.J. Berg, "To Crown a Sandcastle Just Right" (#28)
Paul Melko, "Ten Sigmas" (#28)
Sarah Prineas, "The Dog Prince" (#29)
Carrie Vaughn, "The Bravest of Us Touched the Sky" (#29)
Sandra McDonald, "Bluebeard by the Sea" (#28)

Those stories come from two issues printed last year, and represent 9 out of 16 stories we published. Not bad!!

There were also honorable mentions for 2 poems from Tom Piccirilli's collection WAITING MY TURN TO GO UNDER THE KNIFE, which Fairwood put out last year: "In Bed With It" and "Sins of the Sons"

If I missed any, I'm sure someone will tell me. (It's hard to go through all that fine print in the back! <g>)

Thank you all. :-)

Steve Parker
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 07:44 am:   

Massive congrats to all the authors, Patrick and Honna and to Talebones itself. This is an even better result than last year's 'Best of's, isn't it?
Talebones is looking strong! I agree with posters in the other thread; perhaps it's time the publication frequency went back up.
Other than that, don't go changin'.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   

Steve, sorry I didn't respond to this ... I missed it! This is definitely better than last year's, and one of the best years on record, particularly because of the reprint. We may have had a few years here and there with more honorable mentions, particularly when we published 4 times a year, and this year's list may be pretty good too. We have the Anne Harris story getting reprinted, not in Gardner's antho, but in David Hartwell's.

We're "on pace" for 3 issues this year. We'll see how it goes. Our production format will change a little to help facilitate a higher publication frequency. We'll have as much if not more fiction than ever in every issue, although we're considering some other changes, including dropping reviews (transfering them to the website instead).

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:19 pm:   

I'd heard that Rich Horton was editing a new Year's Best series for Prime Books, but I hadn't thought much of it until I got an e-mail yesterday asking to reprint "The Inn at Mount Either," my story in Analog last year, in the new anthology. So, hooray!

And along those lines, Patrick, you're up to 32 issues now of Talebones: we're ready for the Best of Talebones antho! I'll have to go through all my back issues (I'm missing some of the early ones) to come up with my virtual TOC for the antho. This should be fun!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 12:15 am:   

Congrats on the reprint, Jim!

We are "close" to doing a Best of TB one of these days. So...considering all the stories you personally have had in the mag, to pick just one...
...which one would YOU chose,
...and which one do you think WE would chose?

And by the way, that's a good idea ... a virtual TOC for the antho. Hmmm....I think I'll start a new topic on that!

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 07:00 am:   

I noticed this story listed for the table of contents for THE BEST OF THE REST 4, edited by Brian Youmans: Nina Kiriki Hoffman, "Treats", from Talebones, Summer 2005.

The entire toc is at http://www.suddenlypress.com/botr4.htm

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 07:04 am:   

Oh, and "Still Life With Boobs" made hartwell's THE YEAR'S BEST FANTASY at http://www.kathryncramer.com/kathryn_cramer/2006/02/years_best_fant.html

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 04:55 pm:   

The 23rd edition of Gardner Dozois' Year's Best SF is out. TALEBONES' stories that made the Honorable Mention list include the following:

"The Man With Great Despair Behind His Eyes," Ken Scholes
"A Whole Man," David J. Schwartz
"One Day in the Middle of the Night," James Van Pelt

jess kaan
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 09:12 am:   

congratulations for this awards !!!

Ken Scholes
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 07:43 pm:   

Outstanding news! Congrats to David and James!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   

and Ken!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   

Well, because of a mailing snafu, Ellen didn't get her Talebones copies from us, and so there are no HMs for horror in The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror. But Gavin Grant & Kelly Link got copies for the fantasy aspect. The HMs there are:

"The Wooden Mother" Michael Poore
"Take the Stairs" Ray Vukcevich
"Lodging" Katherine Woodbury

Ellen says she will look at the winter 2005 issue along with all issues from 2006 for next year's volume, so that's good.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 02:39 am:   

Oops! I forgot one. Also:

"A Whole Man" by David J. Schwartz

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |