HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

New Books, 2005

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fairwood Press/Talebones Magazine » New Books, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   

We have two new books coming out from Fairwood Press this summer:

Jay Lake's first novel:
ROCKET SCIENCE
James Van Pelt's new collection:
THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS & OTHER STORIES.

We're hoping to have them available for Westercon in Calgary. So goes the theory. We're pretty excited about these two projects. Jay is last year's John W. Campbell award winner, and Jim Van Pelt's first Fairwood Press collection, STRANGERS AND BEGGARS, was an ALA Best Book, and a big seller for us; needless to say, we have high hopes for both of these books.

We've also done a joint venture with Ken Rand, whose Media Man! Production company hired us to put together his writing reference follow-up to THE 10% SOLUTION, called FROM IDEA TO STORY IN 90 SECONDS. You can get it directly from Ken through his website, or at his teaching gigs and workshops, or you can get it at our own webpage (http://www.fairwoodpress.com)

Matt Hughes
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

Patrick:

I would really like a review copy of Jay's book. Please send me an email at mhughes(at)mars.ark.com and I'll give you a mailing address, or you can get it from the SFWA directory if you have one.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com/

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 04:27 pm:   

Okay, I'll email you, Matt...

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 04:30 pm:   

First wave (out of three) of review copies went out for both the Jay Lake and Van Pelt books. Still a lot more to do in that respect.

Also, we're doing a spiff-up on Trey Barker's WHERE THE SOUTHERN CROSS THE DOG, a chapbook of three of his Green River stories. In a nutshell, it's Horror meets the blues!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:48 pm:   

Okay, so now I'm on a roll. I figured out how to put the Talebones cover image in the Issue #30 topic (thanks John), so now how about book covers?

Here's the cover for Jim Van Pelt's new collection THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS...

van pelt test

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:52 pm:   

Oooh. That was a little too big, maybe.

And here's the cover for Jay Lake's ROCKET SCIENCE...

rocket test

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   

Ooh! I like both covers. *g*

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 12:21 am:   

Well, you had input into YOUR cover, Jim. You BETTER like it. <g>

By the way, the cover image for Jim's book is by the talented Alan M. Clark

Amy Sisson
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:12 am:   

Will you be selling these at CascadiaCon? I prefer to buy in person at conventions versus through the mail, so I can get books signed at the con but only have to carry them one way on the trip.

Love that Rocket Science cover!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:32 pm:   

Amy, yes, there should be some copies at CascadiaCon. We won't have a table ourselves, but we know enough dealers that we're sure we'll be able to get TB & FP stuff there.

We will have a table at Westercon, however, in Calgary.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 02:03 pm:   

Jay's ROCKET SCIENCE received a glowing review in the June LOCUS. Way to go, Jay!

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 04:46 pm:   

I love the cover for Jay's book. Did you guys design that on your own?

JK

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:31 pm:   

Yes, Jim, I saw that nice review! Your book, O-FORMS, is also getting reviewed in LOCUS, next month or the month after that...

John, I did the cover design, but I got the fun graphic from Getty Images.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 08:52 pm:   

The Van Pelt book THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS is on its way from the printer. Lake's ROCKET SCIENCE is delayed a few more days...

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   

I've got copies of both books now. Whew! We'll have books for Westercon after all. And some of you will see copies at Worldcon, I hope, and CascadiaCon (Nasfic) here in Seattle

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 01:35 pm:   

BTW, Jim's book also received an excellent review from LOCUS.

ROCKET SCIENCE has also received good reviews froM INTERZONE, SF Site, and SCIFI.COM.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 12:17 am:   

Fairwood had one of its best months ever in September (at least in terms of book orders--money won't come in for them for a while), due to the strong showing of both ROCKET SCIENCE and O-FORMS.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 06:04 am:   

Great! I see that Analog reviewed ROCKET SCIENCE in the December issue I just received. The review is glowing the whole way.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 08:02 am:   

Patrick---

Congrats---it's good to see you reaping the rewards for all your good work. I'm sure you'll soon be coming to conventions in a limo and strutting around in a $3000 tailored suit.

Is Fairwood on track to have its best year, or did it do better when you were able to publish more issues of Talebones per year? Just curious. No need to answer in public (or in private) if you'd rather not say.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 07:51 pm:   

LOL Gordon! Well, you know what they used to say. "To make a small fortune in publishing, start with a large fortune..." But actually, doing books like we are, small runs and on demand, as needed, that old adage doesn't always apply. Still, I think the limo and tailored suit is a looong way off. :-)

Talebones is a separate company (sole proprietor); Fairwood is a corporation. The two of them have been separate entities since 2000 when we incorporated Fairwood to start doing books. (Some of our early chapbooks, like The 10% Solution, were done when Fairwood was just an umbrella company for Talebones.) So the frequency of Talebones has not had a direct impact on Fairwood.

Anyway, it's funny you should ask about Fairwood because I've been spending the day crunching numbers in preparation for our Annual Meeting tomorrow. Yeah, okay, it's the meeting for 2004...I'm ALWAYS behind in getting the actual meeting done! Talebones, which started in 1995, has never made money, but of course we've always upped the ante with the magazine, slowly but surely improving it as we've chugged along. But Fairwood was in the black in 3 short years, by the end of 2003. 2003 was our best year because of Jim Van Pelt's first collection, Strangers and Beggars, which still is selling copies steadily to this day due to the ALA Best Book tag it received. 2004 we showed a slight loss, but we had Kurt Giambastiani's book come out near the end of that summer, and orders went out, but money didn't come in until the start of 2005. But with Jay's novel and Jim's new collection out there doing well, we could definitely see 2005 taking over as our best year. The distributor orders for September will, for the most part, be paid the end of December, so whether we get that money then or the first of January will have an impact on the final numbers of 2005.

Jim, who did the Analog review? (Not having seen it personally)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 08:00 pm:   

Now available a new writing book by Ken Rand called THE EDITOR IS IN. I did the design and layout work, ran the output through Fairwood's printer, but it's actually "published" by Ken's company Media Man! Productions. Ken does a lot of writing conferences and seminars and he sells his work at these venues. We'll have it on our site "soon." Here's the cover:

The Editor is In

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 08:05 pm:   

I should mention that it's a print version of the 1st 12 months of Ken's e-newsletter of the same name. He's no longer doing the newsletter, but those 12 issues were chock full of great writerly advice from Ken and his contributors.

Ken will have it for sale on his own website, maybe sooner than it's available on mine.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   

Hi, Patrick. Tom Easton did the review.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 05:48 pm:   

Patrick---

Thanks for the info.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 04:02 pm:   

Then again...I suppose you could say Talebones has had an INDIRECT impact on Fairwood. Having two issues a year instead of four means that fewer people would be seeing ads for Fairwood books.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 08:09 pm:   

I found this offer at Shocklines, so I've been posting it at various spots on the web.

If someone was just THINKING about buying O-FORMS, and didn't just flat out buy it through Fairwood (which is the best way to go moneywise for Fairwood Press), you might consider this alternative:

Shocklines, an online bookstore, is offering my latest collection, THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS AND OTHER STORIES, with a moneyback guarantee. If you order the book from them and don't like it, you can return it within 30 days for store credit. No questions asked. It's their "new voices guarantee."

I don't feel particularly like a "new voice" as much anymore, but it's a great deal!

This is the same book that one of the Bookslut (great name, huh!) reviewers said, "The Last of the O-Forms and other stories is a great collection of sci fi - a really really great collection . . . James Van Pelt is an incredibly brave writer and I really do believe that. He does all kinds of great things with this book (a Vice Principal haunted by doubts and the children he knew before - plus his younger self is a real treat in "Do Good"), and his choices of setting and characters are a constant surprise . . . He's a really good writer and I thoroughly enjoyed this collection. You should read it -everybody should read it."

Here is the link for the Shocklines offer

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   

I've just sent an email to LOCUS for their Forthcoming Books issue, plus their BOOKS SOLD section of the People & Publishing page. We're announcing new projects! Seems like it's been awhile, but it looks now like projects may be coming along faster than anticipated now....

We're doing Jim Van Pelt's first novel SUMMER OF THE APOCALYPSE, with a release at World Fantasy this year.

Also coming out at World Fantasy will be Ken Rand's CUT TO THE BONE: THE COMPLETE TALEBONES INTERVIEWS.

We'll also be doing two comprehensive collections by Ken Rand in 2007, one with his darker stories, one with his humor work.

Also on tap, the first story collection by Paul Melko, for early 2007.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   

Oh...no titles yet for the Rand collections, but a tentative title for the Melko: TEN SIGMAS AND OTHER UNLIKELIHOODS

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   

Boy it sure is quiet since the registration requirement came to be. Everyone lurking, but not posting?

A couple of exciting book possibilities on the horizon. Too early to talk about yet, but we'll let you know when we know for sure.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 05:20 am:   

It is quiet! On my computer, I'm automatically logged in now every time I come to this site, so there's no extra key strokes or any other hassle.

Dang, I hate stuff that's too early to talk about. It's like the two or three days before Christmas *g*.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   

::, I hate stuff that's too early to talk about. It's like the two or three days before Christmas ::

Yeah, ha ha. Don't shake the packages under the tree! But seriously, could be a neat deal or two for us.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 01:40 pm:   

Oh, and yes, it's nice that I'm automatically logged in and I don't have to type anything. Hopefully that's the same deal for everyone else.

(Psst...Jim, did you see the #33 cover posted on the other thread? No comments yet so I was just wondering...)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |