HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Issue #30--The 10th Anniversary Issue

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fairwood Press/Talebones Magazine » Issue #30--The 10th Anniversary Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 08:39 pm:   

This issue will be ready this summer, hopefully for Westercon in Calgary. Ten years, 30 issues, an average of 3 issues a year. Not bad, not bad.

Here's the table of contents for issue #30:

FICTION
"Still Life With Boobs" by Anne Harris
"Treats" by Nina Kiriki Hoffman
"One Day, in the Middle of the Night" by James Van Pelt
"Take the Stairs" by Ray Vukcevich
"A Whole Man" by David J. Schwartz
"Mama's Lightning Bugs" by Brian Scott Hiebert
"Ask Not For Whom" by Jason D. Wittman
"The Wooden Mother" by Michael Poore

POETRY
"I Dream About Stephen King" by Katherine Elwevar
"Waiting For First Contact" by Roger Dutcher
"38 Light Years Out" by William John Watkins

NONFICTION
Interview with Ben Bova by Ken Rand
"Mathoms, Etc" by Edward Bryant
and a bevy of short book reviews.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 08:18 pm:   

I didn't realize the next issue was the 30th! That's not a milestone in small press; that's a high water mark.

Congrats on staying active and important for so long, and congrats on the new message board. I noticed the forum had vanished at the Talebones site, but I hadn't thought to query about it.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 01:11 am:   

Thanks, Jim! Yeah, 30 does SEEM like a big number. Whew. <g>

The forum on the TB/FP site just never gathered steam after our move to the new system. Even you--one of our most prominent posters--only popped a couple of messages in there during that time. So I think this will work better for us overall. (Assuming I can keep up, and get over here on a regular basis.)

Honna
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   

Hi Jim!
Yes, can you believe 30? Glad to see you on board for that one with one heck of a cool story that had me grinning all the way through. You're so flippin' clever!

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:02 pm:   

Hi, Honna! What's the news on your own writing front?

Honna
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:18 am:   

Hi Jim!
The latest is that the agent emailed me not long ago to let me know that my novel is making its way to the top of his huge stack. So, it's the fingers-crossed, wait and see game for now. I'm working on my second, though.

Honna

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

Congrats!

Working on a new novel while parenting a young child is a tough row to hoe.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   

Tell me about it, Jim! In addition to raising a toddler, working on a novel while holding down a full-time teaching job is a tough one. Just before the school year started (I'm a high school classroom teacher just like Jim!) I had this plan to get so far ahead and caught up with school work that I'd be able to use my actual planning period to write. That lasted a few weeks before things got too crazy. I find my creative energy pretty drained when I get home.

Honna Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:20 am:   

Jim,

Just saw in Locus that your short story "The Inn at Mount Either" made the recommended stories list. Congrats!

Honna

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   

Hi, Honna. Thanks! My Locus subscription lapsed. Did you read the review?

Honna Swenson
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 09:47 am:   

Jim
Yes, I read it. Rich Horton writes:

"James Van Pelt's "The Inn at Mount Either" is the prize story this month, however. The title inn has a unique property--it is built on a sort of nexus between alternate worlds, and one can walk to different versions of the hotel. But Daniel has a problem--he can't find his wife. Then he compounds the problem by going to look for her....
It's not precisely a new idea, but Van Pelt puts a nice spin on it."

At the end of Horton's article is the list of recommended stories.

After reading that, it makes me want to have a few drinks with you, Jim, to get inside that creative head of yours to see how you do it!

Honna

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

Thanks, Honna. That's high praise coming from Rich Horton.

The drinks sound good. I may be coming to NASFIC, so maybe a bunch of us can get together.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 01:46 pm:   

Woohoo! That would be great to see you here in Seattle for NASFIC, Jim. Definitely drinks. Notice the plural. <g>

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:32 pm:   

We're putting final touches on #30. Squeezing in ads, short book reviews, bios, etc. Proofs starting to go out to writers. We're still hoping to make the issue ready for Westercon...

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 11:08 pm:   

We've finalized our cover for #30, and we're about ready to put the whole thing to bed and off to the printer.

Okay, can someone tell me how to get graphics into these posts? I've seen covers and cartoons and such in other forums... I'd like to share the new cover...

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 07:14 am:   

It's in the formatting link above, but basically:

\ image {description}

without the spaces. Then when you go to post, it will give you the option to browse/find the image.

Hope that helps!

JK

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:18 am:   

Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing it. I think Talebones should be in the running for the "consistently most interesting cover" Hugo.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:30 pm:   

Thanks, John, for the headsup. Duh, I could've explored a little more before I posted that help message!

Funny, Jim! I like the idea of that Hugo award. Okay, going to try the graphic thing in the next post...

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:35 pm:   

Here's the cover for TALEBONES #30, due out this July...

#30 cover jpg

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:38 pm:   

Oops! I guess when you interrupt the upload, it doesn't get rid of the post. I'll try again...

#30 cover jpg

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 12:20 am:   

The cover, by the way, is from Seattle-area artist Jeff Sturgeon, who also did covers for us for issues #18 and #25.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:03 am:   

Cool cover! Glad to help.

While you didn't have this problem, I should mention that you should always check out the dimensions of the image before you post. We've had some gigantic images appear on this board before.

JK

Oliver Dale
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 07:57 am:   

That is really quite a cover. Look forward to the issue.

Robert B
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   

Sweet! Nice work Mr Sturgeon.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   

Thanks, John, Oliver & Robert. We're quite happy with it! Hope others get a chance to come over and look.

S. Parker
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   

Hi Patrick and Honna (and Orion, of course),

Just popped on to say how nice the cover of issue 30 looks. It's a real eye-catcher - should do swift business on the magazine stands (are you distributed through many stores?).

The title of Anne Harris's story has me cracking up. I can't imagine what the story will be about, but if it's half as funny as the title... Then again, Talebones is dark; maybe it's not a comedy at all.
I'm looking forward to finding out.

Other than that, roll on issue 31. You know how excited I am about that issue. ;)

Steve Parker,
Tokyo, Japan.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 01:39 pm:   

Hi, Steve! Thanks for posting. (Folks, a round-o-applause for Mr Parker, who sold us his first story; it will be in #31 (see the Issue #31 thread)). Yeah, we like the new cover. Incidentally, we had a color change last minute...instead of the blue, we have a spiffy purple.

"Still Life With Boobs" by Anne Harris IS as funny as the title! We saw Diane Walton of On Spec last weekend in Calgary (Westercon), and she emailed me later saying she stayed up late finishing that story and could not stop laughing!

And by the way, we also do humor, and we also do non-dark. Sure, we tend to preFER darker stuff, but it's not a prerequisite. We're mostly subscription-based, but we have a few specialty stores scattered throughout the country.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   

Thar be #30s HERE! They can now be ordered from the website. They ship to subscribers on Monday.

Alan Yee
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 06:20 pm:   

I want one! Now all I have to do is lure my dad's credit card over to my computer . . .

Oliver Dale
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   

*clicky, clicky*

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 08:28 pm:   

Won't need a credit card if your dad's got PayPal. But I guess same difference; you'd need his okay. (We don't take CC orders over the website.) Or send a check, of course. Paper still works. :-)

Alan Yee
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:16 pm:   

PayPal lets you type in CC information even without an account. You *do* use a CC either way, but we *don't* have an account. My parents are a little leery of ordering things online, so I would be the only person who would even think of using PayPal. (My mom doesn't like PayPal; my dad hasn't even heard of it.) And it doesn't help that I can't have my own credit card and my own PayPal account.

Yes, all of this means that the father handed the CC over earlier tonight, which means that my very own Talebones #30 will be in the mail (soon?).

Bill G
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   

I received my copy today. I plugged it over on the Asimov's Message Board, the "September Asimov's" thread. Who knows, maybe it will lead to a subscription...

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   

Alan, I see your Paypal order came in last night. I think it should go out in tomorrow's mail, so you'd have it before the end of the week.

Bill, thanks for plugging the mag at the Asimov's board! Always good if it leads to a subscription (or a sample copy order that THEN might lead to a subscription)...

Chris Dodson
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

I just got my first issue in the mail yesterday. What a great magazine! I especially enjoyed Michael Poore's modern take on "The New Mother" and Nina Kiriki Hoffman's odd coming-of-age story. As for the Anne Harris story . . . well, let's just say I'll never look at boobs in the same way again.

Keep up the good work!

Alan Yee
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   

Got mine on Friday. I'll read it and my other mags on our trip this week.

Steve Parker
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

I've just finished reading issue 30 and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Good job, guys.

Still Life with Boobs was as funny as the title suggested. I also really liked Hoffman's Treats.

But my favourite story by far was Mama's Lightning Bugs by Hiebert. Great stuff!

The poetry and verse was also particularly strong in this issue. In fact, I just enjoyed the whole damned thing!

Roll on number 31! :D

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   

Awesome, guys! So glad you enjoyed #30. Sorry I've not posted lately. Honna's mom has been in the hospital since Sunday, and it's been a bit hectic around here.

Chris, Steve, can I plug your issue comments in our letters section for #31? I'd just need to know city and state to add in (Steve, I know yours). Writers appreciate seeing comments about their stories.

Steve Parker
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 07:04 pm:   

Hi Patrick,

Sorry to hear about Honna's mum. I hope she gets better soon.

Feel free to use my above posting in the letters page if you want to. These writers certainly deserve to know how much other people enjoyed their work.
If I submit a book review too, can you market #31 as a Steve Parker special issue? ;)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:47 am:   

Haha! Nice try. <g>

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 09:59 pm:   

Nobody has posted anything for THREE days. I'm getting used to new posts in the Talebone's topic daily.

Don't let me down, folks.

Uh . . . oh, I suppose I could post something.

Steve Parker
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:36 am:   

Hi Jim,

Like you, I check this board very frequently hoping for new posts. I'd like to see the Talebones board become a hotbed of discussion and debate.

I think I'll make a new thread!

Chris Dodson
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:18 am:   

Feel free to plug me into the letters page, Patrick. I live in Kingsport, TN.

E Thomas
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 05:25 pm:   

Bill G: I received my copy today. I plugged it over on the Asimov's Message Board, the "September Asimov's" thread. Who knows, maybe it will lead to a subscription...

I have been thinking about subscribing to Talebones for quite some time, and due to a fortuitous set of circumstances--Bill G's mention, being all caught up in my other two subscriptions for the first time ever, and a fit of optimism--I decided to subscribe for eight issues. I'm very excited about it and looking forward to reading Talebones!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 11:42 am:   

Wow, I'm gone for a little vacation, and my little board explodes with posts! :-)

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I know you can post daily, Jim. What else have you got to do, particularly now that school's in session for you? LOL

I decided to subscribe for eight issues. I'm very excited about it and looking forward to reading Talebones!

E, we're glad to have you! I sent #30 your way a few days ago.

E Thomas
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

I received it and am enjoying it so far. "Still Life with Boobs" is so far the most memorable. :-)

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 09:26 am:   

While cruising for issue #30 reviews, I found the following:

http://www.actionheroes.homestead.com/reviewstwohundredfive.html

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:02 am:   

Ha, that's interesting! The guy who runs that website contacted me out of the blue about doing a review, and so I said, sure, I'd send him a copy. And there it is.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   

There was a nice mention in the last LOCUS about issue #30. They singled out three stories specifically:

James Van Pelt's story "One Day in the Middle of the Night" ("a clever recasting of a cute poem into a dark tale of sibling rivalry aboard a starship"),

Anne Harris's "Still Life, With Boobs" ("lots of fun with the idea of body parts with an independent nature"), and

Michael Poore's "The Wooden Mother" ("fine, spooky modern-day fairy tale, in which the title entity deals with inner city delinquents")

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   

Anne Harris's "Still Life, With Boobs" is now on the preliminary Nebula ballot! Soon we'll have the story up on the Talebones website, but you can also read it on Anne's own website, at inventingmemory.com

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   

I also just found out from Anne that "Still Life With Boobs" will be reprinted in THE YEAR'S BEST FANTASY, edited by David Hartwell & Kathryn Cramer. Woo hoo!! Our 2nd "Best" reprint in as many years (the first being "Ten Sigmas" by Paul Melko last year, reprinted in Dozois's YEAR'S BEST SF).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |