Flashing Swords Issue 3 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Flashing Swords » Flashing Swords Issue 3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

joneshowarda
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

Hello All,

Issue 3 is now live, and the e-zine is bigger and better than ever.

I think you'll be mightily pleased by what you find in this issue and look forward to your comments. Please, if you like what you find, let us know, and do post so the authors can see what you think.

www.swordandsorcery.org

Best,
Howard

Managing Editor
www.swordandsorcery.org
Flashing Swords E-Zine

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:03 am:   

Ah, good to see. Who is that Caselberg guy, anyway?

joneshowarda
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 08:11 am:   

International man of mystery, methinks. Whoever he is--and he may be using an alias--I hope he'll consider the zine for some more stories.

Hey, seems like my editorial on sword and sorcery has stirred up a hornet's nest. Heh. I expected a little controversy, but this happened fast...

best,
Howard

bdurham
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   

Ah, good to see. Who is that Caselberg guy, anyway?

Good story, Jay. Posted some comments over at the FS forums.

Howard, the world's big enough for all types of fantasy. Maybe you struck a nerve, or was just purposely misunderstood. Probably both. Anyway, keep doing what you're doing.

Alistair
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   

I just finished reading all the stories. Great stuff. "Raven's Eye" was a beauty, I must say. I also liked (I liked all of them but) I was wondering about Christopher Stires.

I've searched the web and found out about his novels etc, but I wonder if he's written any more stuff in the Sword and Sorcery mould that's readily available to read? I know he's had stuff published elsewhere, but has anyone any idea where I can find more stories of his? That entity emerging from that vortex of his made a big impression on me.

Joe McCullough's "End of Duty" was also very absorbing. Which makes me think that the question I'm really asking is, is it possible to get a more detailed run-down on the authors featuring in "Flashing Swords", so we can follow them up a little?

That's more of a wish than a criticism, let it be said. Flashing Swords has simply increased my appetite.

James M. Pfundstein
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 08:37 pm:   

Joe McCullough had a Stevan the Targeteer story in Black Gate 5 and he's got another in Lords of Swords.

But I confess to having nothing to share about Christopher Stires. Maybe there should be an "about the authors" page for future issues of Flashing Swords?

JMP

Alistair
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   

Thanks, James. I'll check out Black Gate right away. Yes, an "about the authors" page would be ideal, if it wasn't too time-consuming to do.

I very much like the intros for the authors that are given there already. And, of course, with the web it's normally fairly easy to track down the works of authors you want to read. With Christopher Stires, though, there was wasn't much to go on web-wise, which is what prompted me to ask. His novels look interesting. But "The Covenant" was quite a striking piece, I thought, and it would be great to see him do more along these lines.

James M. Pfundstein
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   

No problem-- my effort consisted of leaning over to see if McCullough's story was in BG5 or BG6.

You might be interested in the Flashing Swords forum at SFReader.com:

http://www.sfreader.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=50

I think Chris Stires has an author topic at SFReader.com, too.

JMP

joneshowarda
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 06:09 am:   

Glad you've enjoyed some of issue 3, Alistair.

You also can find Joe's work in LORDS OF SWORDS, which is now available through Amazon, and in some Borders nation wide. He's been active in the small press for years, frequently writing Stevan stories. There just hasn't been much of a market willing to accept adventure tales so he and a number of other talented authors have had to publish on the fringes.

He also has a Stevan story in FLASHING SWORDS 1, and he'll have some more next year, as well as a related tale in the upcoming SAGES AND SWORDS, another anthology from Pitch-Black, soon-to-be released.

best,
Howard

Alistair
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 04:51 am:   

Many thanks for the info, Howard. I've been meaning to order Lords of Swords and will do soon. And now there's an issue 4 of Flashing Swords. Excellent!

And thanks, James, for pointing out the FS forum. I'll keep a look out for the Christopher Stires thread too.

Cheers!

joneshowarda
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   

Thanks, Alistair. I hope you'll post your thoughts on 4 both here and at the FS envelope over at SFReader.com.

An About the Authors page is something I want to get to eventually. Hopefully now that I have some more staffers I'll have time to set more things up.

best,
Howard

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register