More new stuff Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williams, Liz » More new stuff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 02:28 am:   

I've sold reprint rights today to HarperCollins for a Realms of Fantasy short story (HONEYDARK), which will be going into a Year's Best collection this summer. Yay.

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 05:19 am:   

Damn.

Congratulations. Now you're on -my- list.

Neil Williamson
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 08:15 am:   

Fab, Liz!

Which Years Best is it?

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 09:15 am:   

I am delighted to have sold a short story to Mr Klima's ELECTRIC VELOCIPEDE. Should be appearing in issue 6.

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:02 am:   

And even more delighted to have achieved four honourable mentions in Gardner Dozois' Year's Best SF.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:06 am:   

Okay, definitely on my list now...

Liz Williams
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 09:06 am:   

Website update today - new stuff in the 'News' section (including the Siberian trip report but no pics as yet, they're being developed, and an account of a heavy social week on the genre scene.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 07:59 am:   

Congrats Liz! And I've been enjoying reading your trip report to Siberia -- I read bits and pieces of it between projects at work, and it's fascinating stuff. Nice bit of travel writing.

Liz Williams
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:18 am:   

Thanks, Mike! I am contemplating trying to sell it somewhere. Possibly Fortean Times.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:18 pm:   

Congrats, Liz! I know I'm late, but...
Jeff

Liz
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 01:39 am:   

Short story DANCING DAY, about demonic possession in an alternative Istanbul, is out in the next REALMS OF FANTASY.

Liz W
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:52 am:   

Really quite shameless boasting here, but what the hell. I've been listed in SFX magazine's '10 authors to watch' article this month, thusly:

"Williams was recently feted by Gwyneth Jones (in Locus) for rediscovering the planetary romance. Now, there's a claim to fame! Certainly her new novel, The Poison Master, is gothic in form and Jacobean in parts of its plot. It's also a bloody good read. Williams is another British author who was first published in the US, and with whom UK publishing has only recently caught up. Yes, market size has something to do with this, but all UK-based publishers really must get on the case more quickly with such talented authors. Williams improves book by book and may become something very special."

What a nice bunch of people! I'm on the list with Charlie Stross, Justina Robson, Neal Asher and Jon Courtney Grimwood among others. Ah, and Jeffrey Ford is in there, too. Good on you, Jeff.

And yes, there's been a certain amount of comment regarding the UK industry as being a bit slow off the mark to pick up home grown talent - I can think of quite a few folk who haven't yet been published over here, as far as I know. Some are American, some are based here - Jay Caselberg, Wen Spencer, Lyda Morehouse, Naomi Kritzer... Let's hope everyone gets the deals they deserve on this side of the Pond.

Meanwhile, however, the US industry continues to drop the ball on some of the Brits, sooo....

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 01:39 am:   

Some good news from my editor re The Poison Master:

Publishers Weekly just put out its best of 2003 list, and in mass market,
out of only six titles mentioned, PM was not only in, but the only SF/F
title of the six! So, major congrats!!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 10:14 am:   

Liz:

I've been trying to get a message to you, but your e-mail in box is full. Let me know when I can resend it.

JK

Liz
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 04:06 pm:   

And short story THE MARSELLA (absinthe, Mediterranean goddesses) is sold it seems to Electric Velocipede. I am delighted.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 05:53 am:   

Glad to help out. I'm just amazed that I get the opportunity to publish stuff this good.

(is it weirdly appropriate that as soon as I started reading your post "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" by Stevie Wonder came on my stereo...? it could just be me being strange)

JK

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:09 am:   

Thanks for your kind comments, John - I've only just caught up with this. Disgraceful, really.

News this week is that I have sold another short story, A SHADOW OVER THE LAND, to Asimov's.

T Andrews
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 11:50 am:   

I just finished reading ON WINDHOVER DOWN in RoF. I loved the strong setting, and great heroine~ very satisfying ending.
Thanks for the read.

Liz
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 03:02 pm:   

Thanks very much! I'm delighted that you enjoyed the story.

Windhover Down is a real place and not very far from here - it's the location of the Long Man of Wilmington, a chalk figure that was the inspiration for the story. He is commonly supposed to be prehistoric but recent excavation suggests that he is far more likely to have been made just after Cromwell's day, along with the highly phallic Cerne Abbas giant (who is apparently a satire on Cromwell's habit pf portraying himself as Hercules).

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 02:26 am:   

BANNER OF SOULS has now been delivered and will be forthcoming in September.

It's available for pre-order on Amazon now.

Here's what people are saying about it:

A marvelous book, a vivid adventure infused with a baroque and haunting atmosphere
that lingers long after the last page is turned. This is futuristic fiction as the Brothers Grimm might have penned it. K.J. Bishop

"Liz Williams is this generation's answer to Margaret Atwood and Sheri Tepper.
Her work -- nuanced, evocative, and consummately literate -- charts a compelling
course for feminist SF in the 21st century." - Chris Moriarty

"In BANNER OF SOULS Liz Williams has created a vast and baroquely textured vision of a far future solar system that bears comparison to Gene Wolfe's BOOK
OF THE NEW SUN, a gothic feast for the imagination that places her in the first
rank of visionary science fiction writers. -Charles Stross

I have completed a first draft of the next novel, provisionally entitled DARKLAND
and am planning to deliver this at the end of the summer. I have also begun work on a sequel, untitled as yet.

As for short fiction, I have sold the following:
ALL FISH AND DRACULA: Realms of Fantasy
THE PALE: Strange Horizons
THE WATER CURE: Andromeda Spaceways In-Flight Magazine
THE DAYKEEPER (reprint) Fairies (anthology)

My short story collection,THE BANQUET OF THE LORDS OF NIGHT, will be coming out with NightShade books real soon now....:-)

My non-fiction book about Siberia, THE ICE PRINCESS, has been delivered to my agent and we shall see....

Liz

Jeff Ford
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 05:02 am:   

Liz: Holy Pangolins! You're on fire. Congratulations on all of this, and good luck with it. I'm particularly looking forward to Banner of Souls. Hope all is well.

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 05:21 am:   

Holy pangolins indeed! :-)

I was on fire but fortunately someone was standing by with a bucket of water.

Seriously, thanks, Jeff. Yes, things are pretty good at the moment (I will now make a patent movement for averting malignant fate) and hope they are similarly good with you. BTW, my mum picked up a copy of MRS CHARBUQUE recently and is looking forward to it.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:52 am:   

Can't wait to see the new book. And the collection is something truly amazing.

JK

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 07:35 am:   

I can't wait to see the collection! :-)

And a lot of amazingness is due to you, John, and the NightShade team. I loved the illos on the signing sheets.

Liz
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 01:53 pm:   

Sold a Dracula story - SEAMOTH - to Bloodlust. It's set on the Demeter, sailing into Whitby.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 08:40 am:   

Ooh, that's sounds happy. Can I beg you to send it to me :-)

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:41 am:   

Begging is good! :-)

Yes, will do later today (I have to go to the dentist now, urggh).

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:05 am:   

Just ordered Banner of Souls. Cover's pretty, but not as pretty as Nine Layers. It looks like another Cliff Nielsen piece.

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:19 am:   

Thanks, Mastadge! Yes, I think it's the same guy. I like it (especially the image of Dreams-of-War) but prefer the NINE LAYERS cover too. Macmillan have gone down a completely different route with their cover of the novel.

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:27 am:   

Another sale to the delightful ELECTRIC VELOCIPEDE, of SF short story SERPENT'S TOOTH. Thanks, John!

Also, POISON MASTER has copped 15th place in the LOCUS Best Novel category for 2003.

Liz
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:36 pm:   

I've sold a short story, IKIRYOH (set on the same Earth as BANNER OF SOULS) to Asimov's.

V pleased.

montmorency
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 05:10 am:   

Hi Liz,

Ikiryo(h) means an undead or a ghost of someone living in Japanese. Is there any relation to it?

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 07:31 am:   

Yes. This is a story set in Asia. I don't want to say too much in case it gives away the plot, but there is a direct relationship!

montmorency
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:24 am:   

Good! I look forward to reading it.

Have enjoyed Empire of Bones, Poison Master, and a couple of short stories. The other two novels are ready at hand, and Banner of Souls and the collections are already ordered. Am I missing something? :-)

By the way, I'm Japanese and especially curious about Banner of Souls. Kappa and flooded Japan? Mmm... sounds great.

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:58 am:   

>Have enjoyed Empire of Bones, Poison Master, and a couple of short stories. The other two novels are ready at hand, and Banner of Souls and the collections are already ordered. Am I missing something?

Wow! No, nothing missed but I think I should buy you a drink if we ever meet for ordering so much of my work! Thank you ( and I hope it's worth it! :-) )

BANNER is mainly set in a futuristic version of Hong Kong - I know the city somewhat, as I have a friend there. I have to tell you that the protagonists don't quite reach Japan - although some of the beings in the book are based on elements of Japanese mythology, but somewhat changed. Here, the kappa are genetically-modified humans.

I'll be interested (and a little nervous) to hear what you think of it!

BTW, I have my fingers crossed for a WorldCon in Japan in a couple of years' time. I would love to visit the country - my closest so far is Kobe airport....

montmorency
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 09:03 am:   

So far it is more than rewarding, and I'm sure I'll enjoy Banner of Souls. Glad to hear that we won't suffer another weird transformation; a mere flood I can endure (I was transfixed by David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas and went back to his earlier titles recently. His Japan is, well, just weird).

It should be 2007 we are aiming to invite the WorldCon. I will surely be there, probably helping some panels.

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:52 am:   

I don't think I've done anything too strange to it...!

The Mars in the book is another story, however.

Rajan
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 05:33 am:   

Hey, Liz.

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your story in Electric Velocipede 6. It was very satisfying.

Liz
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 09:04 am:   

Thanks, Rajan!

Sorry for not replying before, BTW - just got back from Milford.

montmorency
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 09:16 am:   

Hi Liz,

I just finished a two page review covering you, Justina Robson and Karen Traviss for a Japanese genre periodical (Hayakawa SF Magazine). I wanted to write about new dangerous female authors in the UK.

Actually, I wanted to include Steph Swainston as well, but there wasn't enough space and I decided to stick to science fiction... well, I'm not sure, but if I treat The Poison Master as an SF, it would not be fair to regard The Year of Our War as a fantasy... did I make a mistake?

Anyway, my brief review of The Poison Master will appear on Nov. 25. Rejoice!

Liz
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 11:23 am:   

Rejoicing indeed! Thank you! :-)

My own view is that both TPM and TYOOW are science fantasy, an inexplicably unpopular term these days.

And many thanks for your interest!

Dangerous Liz Williams

Liz
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 02:29 am:   

To STRANGE HORIZONS, a short story entitled LA MALCONTENTA. It's set in
the same world as BANNER and I wrote it in Venice airport after being trapped
there by snow.

Liz
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 01:28 am:   

ALL FISH AND DRACULA is now out in Realms; I have had contributor copies. Good illustration.

Also, a short story - THE SHOAL - is out in Mike Ashley's 'New Jules Verne' antho.

T Andrews
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 09:18 am:   

ALL FISH AND DRACULA is great! Loved it, loved it.
Great ending. I always enjoy your rich settings, this one included. :-)

Liz
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 11:51 am:   

Thanks! I'm delighted you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to write (I actually wrote it in Prague, weirdly).

Just done another Whitby story. Sue Thomason and I are planning to do an anthology of weird Whitby fiction.

And the first time I visited the place was with Mr VanderMeer and a bunch of writers, oddly enough.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration