London bombings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williams, Liz » London bombings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 07:23 am:   

A heads up of the genre community reveals that most people are fine and accounted for, in spite of a few near misses. Let's hope it stays that way.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 07:37 am:   

Good news, Liz. Has anyone heard for sure from Cadigan?

steve aylett
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 08:48 am:   

I think the main fear, after ascertaining that friends & relatives are okay, is how the politicians are going to use the event to bring in their favourite bits of legislation (ID cards etc etc).

Liz
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:38 pm:   

Yes, Pat's fine.

Steve - absolutely. And ID cards would have prevented this outrage. Of course. Noi doubt about it.

AT
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:00 pm:   

I hope enough people share your sentiments, Liz and Steve, to make this "main fear, after..." something that is not a fear, followed by its inevitable outcome of proving you right. I fear that your fear is spot on. But the more people who show that "our determination to defend our values and our way of life" (Blair) is not bumph, the better. 9/11 was a gift to elements just waiting to tear apart all that values stuff, and they have pretty much done it.

Liz
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 01:58 am:   

London this morning seems to be getting back to normal. I just heard an interview with a girl whose boyfriend is missing and they think he was on the bus. She said: "We're all expected to be cowering in a corner and we're just not going to do that."

But no matter how outraged the nation might be, I think it will still balk at shelling out 100+ for an ID card.

AT
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 03:03 am:   

Thank you for posting your reports, Liz.

steve aylett
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 03:45 am:   

The payment thing re ID cards is an oldtime strategy - they'll lower or eliminate that cost later so that people will go 'Oh, alright then.' It's a misdirection thing.

Liz
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 04:07 am:   

right, yes, that makes sense.

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 04:30 am:   

Glad to hear people are okay, Liz. And keep fighting things like the ID cards, which Bruce Schneier says aren't effective in preventing terrorism anyway. They're just security theatre.

Nancy

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration