Borders evening in Brighton Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williams, Liz » Borders evening in Brighton « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:26 am:   

With Pat Cadigan's blessing, I've started a monthly series of evenings of interviews with genre folk, at Borders Bookshop in Brighton. Last night saw the first of these.

Set off into vile weather to discover that Borders were well on the ball last night - books ordered and displayed, chairs set out, microphones laid on, wine available for myself and Tanith (they stashed it behind the loudspeaker so we looked like a couple of alcoholics, surreptitiously reaching down for bottles) and generally a very positive attitude toward the whole thing.

Tanith arrived a little later, looking very glam in a pirate's coat, and did some readings from PIRATICA, CAST A BRIGHT SHADOW and her books for Egerton Press, THIRTY FOUR and FATAL WOMEN, which are written under her pseudonym Esther Garber. In interviewing, I concentrated mainly on her recent writing and what's coming next (sequels to both the YA and the adult novels, and a sequel to THE SILVER METAL LOVER, which will be out next year).

About 20 - 25 people turned up and there were a lot of questions, including questions about movies - SML has been optioned and there's talk of Depp playing the lead role. Which would be nice.

Then we went to the Bath Arms and subsequently to an Italian place with artist Dominic Harman, and then back to Tanith and John's hotel for a nightcap. I think I got home about 1. Borders let us take the rest of the wine home, which was damn nice of them, I think.

Liz

Neil A
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:55 am:   

Hi, Liz.

Any chance of these interviews happening on a weekend? I know Borders mostly do evening events, but was just wondering...

Liz
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:20 am:   

We're trying to keep it to weekdays, because Borders tend to get booked up at the weekends, unfortunately.

Would you like to feature as a guest, BTW? Email me (liz at arkady dot org)

Neil A
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:54 am:   

Hmm. Not sure anyone would be interested in hearing what I had to say, Liz. ;)

Difficult for me to get to Brighton on a week day because of work. Will you post who your guests will be somewhere? I might try and make it along at the end of November.

Liz
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 11:28 am:   

>Difficult for me to get to Brighton on a week day because of work. Will you post who your guests will be somewhere? I might try and make it along at the end of November.

Sure. Once I've sorted this out, I'll get a list up. We'll probably resume in the spring, as Borders have their Xmas rush on for the rest of the year and that was the last event for 2004. But in 2005 their events program will be up and running again.

JV
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 11:40 am:   

Very cool!

(And congrats on the great review in Entertainment Weekly.)

JeffV

Liz
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   

Thanks, Jeff! Yes, I was pleased! :-)

ClaireWeaver
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 08:36 am:   

Hey Liz, glad it went well! Keep me posted on who/when the next one is, and I'll try to not be in another country.

Claire x

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration