Live Journal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williams, Liz » Live Journal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 02:26 pm:   

I now have one, and it is at:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mevennen/

It's somewhat dull so far, as I am at the cautious testing stage. However, it does seem to work and should get prettier and more interesting in due course.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 04:41 am:   

hey, coolness. i hope you learn to love your livejournal as much as i love mine, liz ;)

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 04:56 am:   

Cheers, Ben! I'm working my way through its intricacies....

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 04:41 pm:   

it's a fun thing. i spent a lot of time on the free version, but after about a year or so using it, i chucked up the twenty bucks for the paid. you get a larger range of looks and things to fiddle and play with, which were nice.

Liz
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:59 am:   

I'm just coming to terms with the security things, having had to clout a passing troll (I know you should just ignore and delete them, but I was feeling aggressive).

ben peek
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 04:29 am:   

i never really believed in the ignore tactic, myself.

however, you can make entries on the livejournal specific to other people with livejournals, or just screen comments before they go up, which is what i do. cuts down on a lot, i've found.

The Troll
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   

Yep, we Christians are dopes for caring whether somebody goes to Hell or not.

Oh, well, enjoy the trip.

Bob
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 04:31 am:   

Huh. That doesn't sound all that "Christian" to me. A friend of mine is a devout follower. He's in his fifth year of bible college, he's evangelical and incredibly knowledgeable -- going for his Masters in Hebrew and Ancient Greek, doncha know. He's fully aware that I'm, at my best, an agnostic, and yet he's capable of seeing past his own hubris and acknowledging that his faith ain't my faith. He's also the one who confirmed my most cynical observation of "The Faithful." He told me, "Most Christians are devout in their beliefs, or would be if they knew what they were...."
"Christians" who proselytize where they're not welcome to do so, or are challenged to do so in an interesting or effective way but instead pull their heads back into their shells and say things like, "Yep, we Christians are dopes for caring whether somebody goes to Hell or not. Oh, well, enjoy the trip." are exactly the cause of Christianity's bum rap. What could be a thoughtful, respectful elucidation of faith in the hands of a less loutish devotee becomes the metaphysical equivalent of a beer fart in a crowded elevator when attempted by the average layperson. Or, as I've heard it said, "The worst thing about Christianity are the Christians."
Please think before you post here. It saves us heathens the trouble of skewering your inept rhetoric when we'd rather ignore you elsewhere.

Troll Again
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 06:06 am:   

Luke 9:5

Bob
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 07:39 am:   

Sorry, Liz. It seems I fed your troll when I meant to poison it.
My bad.

The Late Troll
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 10:04 am:   

I'se bin POISONED!

Hack! Ack! Pbhltt!

"THUD"

(Die Troll ist Kaput!)

Dr Liz :
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 10:18 am:   

Ben, you did your best.

I've called in the usual team* to remove the charred, stinking corpse, BTW.

Liz

*ADVERTISEMENT: "Messrs. Burke and Hare - Yr Friendly Neighbourhood Undertakers, Dissectors and Necromantic Removal Agency. 'No job too small, no job too messy!'

"I would send Messrs B & H anywhere!" - Dr Thackery T Lambshead, Wimpering-on-the-Brink, Dorset.

Rates negotiable."

Liz
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   

Thinking about this, Ben - I just can't see why these people do what they do, and what they think it will achieve.

I was put off Christianity at school, precisely because people went into self-righteous preaching mode and would try to convert me. If my soul has been lost to God, then that's why: if they'd left me alone, perhaps I would have been more amenable.

Then, after twenty years of my following a particular path, some stranger, who won't even give his/her name, thinks that making abusive and illiterate remarks, with a few Biblical references thrown in that I don't recognise and can't look up (I don't own a Bible) will somehow be enough to effect a conversion? Unless they're just looking for a public fight, which doesn't seem very, um, Christian, somehow....

Ironically, the people in my immediate social circle who object most to this kind of prosyletizing are my Christian friends - their example, the way they live their lives and walk their talk, have done the most to change my mind about this particular religion. It is not, and never will be, my path, but I have enormous respect for the way they practice it. A pity some people put the gratification of their own ego before the inherent demands of their faith. But then with trolls, it's all about ego and being noticed. A pathetic phenomenon. I suppose in pre-Net days, they'd be standing on street corners, ranting away.

brainshades
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 11:05 pm:   

I've got a brother who has done missionary work in the Pacific islands, and he's fond of saying that the thing that most prevents people from becoming Christians is other Christians... sad...

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 01:57 am:   

Yes, exactly. A Christian friend of mine in Texas has just remarked to me that the one proverb no fundamentalist seems to want to take on board is the one about attending to the beam in your own eye before the mote in your neighbour's....

Ghost of Troll
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 08:57 am:   

Ouchhhh! OK, I give! Sorry for the offense. You've given me something to think about.

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 09:02 am:   

Thinking is good....

Bob
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 02:09 pm:   

Thought good; Pokemon bad. At least that's what I've heard....

Yasmin
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 05:26 am:   

Hi Liz,

You mentioned in your blog/journal that you will be doing a reading & signing for the 'Disease Event' somewhere in London. Can't seem to find anything else about it ie where it will be held or when. Is it open to the public? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Liz
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 01:37 pm:   

Yasmin - I am sorry, this was actually on Thursday and it was invite-only - it was mainly for a press audience. But we'll be doing an interview for the BSFA in January (26th) - myself, Mark Roberts, and China. I think the details will be on the BSFA webpage otherwise I'll post them here once we've got the festering season out of the way.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration