Noreascon 2004 - WorldCon Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williams, Liz » Noreascon 2004 - WorldCon « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:03 am:   

And so my schedule to date is:

Thursday 2:00pm Great (New!) British SF and Fantasy

US readers on the whole are several years behind in discovering such major writers as Ken MacLeod and Alastair Reynolds, and even today the works of Iain Banks often come to the US a year after they are available in the UK. The panel looks at a number of UK writers (and one Australian - ed.) who many of us may be missing (allowing us to rush to the Hucksters Room or to amazon.uk to find their works.

Thursday 3:00pm All That Gothic Stuff....

Doom. Gloom. Death. Destruction. Darkness (and despair!). Enough already! What.....why....and how long can it possibly last? (Alas! <sigh>)

Thursday 4:00pm Autographing

Thursday 9 pm: Musketeer's Event. Myself in a leather corset and thigh boots. Dr Caselberg in a red frock. Unmissable.

Friday 10.00 Thackery T Lambshead Disease Guide Reading

Friday 2 pm - autographing in Sff.net suite

Saturday 2:00pm Literary Beer

Saturday 4:00pm SFWA Musketeers

Sunday 12:00 noonBetter than Light Sabers: Really Good Merchandising Tie-Ins

Sunday 1:30pm Reading (0.5 hrs)

Monday 1:00pm Hard Fantasy

Even in genre circles, fantasy is often dismissed by saying that we can just make it all up. The fact is that many fantasy writers go
to a good deal of trouble to research and extrapolate their worlds everything from finding period maps of London to checking the
etymology of period words or delving into other belief systems to give their magic a sense of reality. It is the factual underpinnings which give a good fantasy the solidity it needs. How is this best done?

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:28 am:   

Hope to see you there. Nonetheless, glad to have lunch with you in London this past week!

JK

Liz
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:41 am:   

You will! :-)

And yes, lunch was great ( a curry on Brick Lane in the East End, in case anyone's wondering). It was good to see you guys! hope you had a good trip home.

Rajan Khanna
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 05:30 am:   

Hi, Liz. I just wanted to say that it was great to meet you at the Literary Beer on Saturday. I was the one from New Jersey who had a cousin in Brighton.

I hope you had a great con and a good trip home.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration