Writing log Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williams, Liz » Writing log « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 06:59 am:   

I don't have a blog apart from occasional website entries or stuff on other folks' board, so to keep me honest and hopefully to provide some vague interest to those who wonder what full time writers actually do all day, I'm starting a writing diary here on Nightshade.

And if anyone suggests that this is mere procrastination, they're wrong. WRONG, I tell you!

Tuesday 21st October

It's novel-revision week at the moment. I have been revising the fifth book for Bantam, provisionally titled BANNER OF SOULS, a title about which everyone, including me, is lukewarm. Reader feedback so far has been helpful and I am working from the comments provided by two writer friends - very different people, very similar feedback, which is somehow encouraging. Thus far, it's going well and with luck (and please God, the retreat of a streaming cold), I should be delivering by the end of this week.

On the short story front, I've just sent something to STRANGE HORIZONS and am about to submit stories to INTERZONE and REALMS. Never subbed to SH before, and this story is a radical departure from what I usually do, being narrated from the viewpoint of a rich Italian bimbo. While I would love to _be_ a rich Italian bimbo, alas, the chances are remote...

Short story in progress is set at the Whitby Goth week and is titled ALL FISH AND DRACULA. I'm also halfway through a story about a Victorian undine who has an interest in electricity and a man who keeps getting struck by lightning. God knows where this one's going.

Two stories in print at the moment, one in REALMS and the other in ASIMOV'S.

And on the downside, got bounced today from Argosy. Lou, will be subbing again at some point.

Liz
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:50 am:   

October 24th

The filthy cold, which everyone else has but probably whines about less than I do, is still confining me to the house. However, the novel revision has now been done and the mss went off to Bantam this afternoon - which is good, because this apparently puts me in for a fall publication slot next year.

Done a little more on the short fiction front and have sent material off to various places, including another story to Visionary Tongue. Also been revising a short story based on NINE LAYERS OF SKY for Scheherazade magazine.

And the mainstream (more or less) novel for which life has been gearing me up, and certain people pushing me into, has finally kicked in. I wasn't expecting it to, but suspect it might have something to do with getting BOS off my hands and also to do with the season (it's all about shamanism and death, which has more or less mirrors the events of the last
year).

I may decide it's too narcissistic to see release, and it will require a very different strategy to sell, but I am now 8000 words in.
I seem to be able to write more of this kind of thing than I can of genre, probably because it's largely a question of remembering rather than imagining. A very different set of challenges. Re-living events is so far neither traumatic nor cathartic, but we shall see. These things tend to manifest in the longer rather than the shorter term. But when I look up from the page, I'm so relieved not to be back in a neurological unit that it eclipses most other things.

Tanya A
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 05:47 am:   

Hi!
I just read 'Dancing Day' in Realms last night and so thoroughly enjoyed it! My hubby was beside me in bed reading his Guitar World magazine and I kept interrupting him to tell him what a great story I was reading. If he forgives me, he might even read it, hehe.
Thanks for the pleasure~it is a great tale.
I write short stories and am just beginning to submit. It's a little daunting, especially when writers like yourself keep that bar so high...:-)

Looking forward to more~ ciao!

Tanya A
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 05:49 am:   

I see I posted this in your log. Aarrgh!!
I'll double my gaffe and post an apology!
Sorry!

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 01:41 am:   

Thanks, Tanya! I'm sorry to take so long to reply - I've only just caught up with my own board. Very pleased you enjoyed DD - it's the only story I've ever written in a workshop, and it's one of my favourites.

And no worries about the post!

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 01:45 am:   

Nov 17th

I'm about 34K in with the mainstream piece, and still have no idea where it's going, but no matter.

I have also started the commissioned novel, and this is progressing slowly. I'm still casting about for firm characterisation and keep changing my mind (with reference to characters in the novel, not to me!). But I know more or less where this is heading now, and just need to find its voice.

O/wise short fiction has gone off to F&SF and Realms. We'll see.

Liz
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 01:46 am:   

Another erratic update...

I've now completed BANNER OF SOULS and submitted it to Bantam - hopefully, that's now all the edits done, although I suspect we may yet have a final round. But for the moment, it gives me a breathing space to get on with the next book - also a synopsis for a new novel and some short fiction.

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:26 am:   

Return of the Son of Infrequent Writing Log...

Yes, I am procrastinating. However, I refuse to feel badly about this as I have done 12K words in the last 2 days on the new novel, which is provisionally entitled DARKLAND (the name of a place in the book). As with most of my titles, this may well change. It's running at about 82K so far and I'm gearing up for the final stretch, which is unlikely to get done before Eastercon. However, I need a break and what with Jeffs Ford and VanderMeer over next week, it's likely to be a social period. Thus far, I am reasonably pleased with the book. That won't last.

I have also been writing some short fiction, with a couple of stories over the last month. But it seems to be a quiet time for returns and rejections. Also been doing the copy edit of BANNER and various other writing-related bits and pieces.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration