Year's Best Fantasy 3 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williams, Liz » Year's Best Fantasy 3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 02:50 am:   

...David Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer's antho, which arrrived this morning and in which I am delighted to be featured, along with the humbling company of Neil Gaiman, Ursula Le Guin, Gene Wolfe, Tanith Lee and Jeff Ford of this 'ere neck of the virtual woods. I feel v unworthy.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 04:48 am:   

Liz: I've had a copy for a while, since the collection has been out here in the stores, and read and really enjoyed Honeydark.Congratulations on the story, it's terrific. I was also happy to be in there and I thought the selection of stories was great, but what did you think of the cover?

Best,

Jeff

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 05:01 am:   

The cover....hmmmmm....

...hhhhmmmmm....

Hhm.

Big sword. Big dragon.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 05:11 am:   

Liz: Yeah, I know. But I thought it was interesting from a marketing standpoint. In the selections I read in there, I didn't see any dragons (though there may very well be some), and a lot of the authors are writing stuff somewhat far removed from what the cover depicts, but I guess these guys know that dragons sell books? The Silverberg one has a dragon too. Now, I'm really not sure, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it get people to read stories they normally might not read? Or does it perpetuate the idea of the best of fantasy being big sword, big dragon? Interesting question, no?

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 05:38 am:   

Well, you know the song:

"There's a bimbo on the cover of my book,
There's a bimbo on the cover of my book,
She fairly oozes sex
But she's nowhere in the text
There's a bimbo on the cover of my book...."

Yep, dragons do sell...! I think it perpetuates and this is not altogether a good thing, but then again, I'm a pragmatist.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 07:36 am:   

Liz: I'm with ya.

Best,

Jeff

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 04:29 pm:   

Hey Liz

Compare it to this Year's Best Fantasy (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0743458672.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg), which not only has a stonking great big dragon on the cover, but is foiled within an inch of its life.

I've wondered, looking at books like this, how readers feel when they open the covers and realise that there are very few sylph-like maidens, fewer stonking great big dragons etc within the pages, but instead it's filled with stories that are almost completely the opposite.

That said, congrats on getting into the book.

Best
Jonathan

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 04:58 pm:   

Oh, btw, meant to say, have I told you I hate you recently?

Well done, you.

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:25 am:   

Only 3 times this week. You're slipping, Caselberg.

And thanks! :-)

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:27 am:   

Jonathan,

I just checked this out. My, my. Hopefully the experience will broaden people's horizons. But maybe it will have another effect and, determined not to be deceived, they will start purchasing slim, artfully designed tomes on the mainstream shelves in an effort to locate the stonking dragons within.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration