Genre Categories Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Weird Tales / HP Lovecraft's Magazine of Horror / Fantasy Magazine » Genre Categories « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brandon Layng
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 09:43 am:   

I am not sure if this has been discussed here before, however I did not see it anywhere. A large amount of the short stories and books I have written have become difficult to categorize into a specific genre. SO... if a story is based in a realm of fantasy, with a horror atmosphere, i.e. Texas Chainsaw Massacre in a Lord of the Rings world, would it be classified as Horror or Fantasy? I am just interested in finding out if anyone could help me out with my cross-genre difficulties. Theme or environment which determines the genre?

Richard Parks
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 07:53 am:   

Bear in mind that what we call "genre" is as much marketing structure as taxonomy. If a horror mag publishes them, they're horror. If a fantasy mag, etc. When the times comes to market what you've done, then basically it's a case of "place your bets," as all you need is an editor who likes what you've done and thinks it fits into their magazine/publishing program. Be aware of the possibilities, but beyond that it's not something you really need be concerned about.

Brandon Layng
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:03 pm:   

so basically I should just shop it around to both markets and see who picks it up?

Richard Parks
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:28 pm:   

No, you should shop it to the market you would most rather see publish the piece in line with your own goals, so long as it could conceivably fit that market. That's the market research part of your job.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration