Goliath Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Jacobs, Harvey » Goliath « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jesse Frindel
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:38 pm:   

I thought your American Goliath novel was great!! Are you working on a new one?

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 09:19 am:   

I know John Pelan is planning a Harvey Jacobs anthology to come out from his Darkside imprint sometime this year....

Jeff V
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 05:41 pm:   

Yes--this from Harvey himself, who is in NY right now, and says he'll check the messageboard only intermittently in February:

"Yes John is bringing out a limited edition collection called My Rose And My Glove hopefully this spring. From his Darkside Press imprint www.darksidepress.com though I don't think there's much info on this particular book as yet. Some published work and some new work, a really mixed orchestration"

Harvey Jacobs
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 01:53 pm:   

Thank's, Jesse. Yes, I've been wrestling with a new novel but I don't yet know who's winning. Best, H

jackdann
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 07:26 pm:   

Hey, Harvey,

This is like the old GEnie days, isn't it.

Harvey Jacobs
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:14 am:   

Oh, FYI, in case anyone is curious, my books include American Goliath, a novel based on the Cardiff Giant hoax that had many Americans believing that a stone figure found on a farm in upstate NY proved that Genesis was an American phenomenon and that God was a Yank. Beautiful Soup is a novel about a fugitive in a bar coded society who suffers an accident classifying him as a can of salt-free pea soup and not as human,
The Juror is a novel about an ad man who regularly flakes out when he's chosen for jury duty matching his own inadaquacies against the majesty of the law and uses his juror's state of grace as an ideal time to commit a series of crimes during juror lunch breaks, Summer On A Mountain Of Spices, a novel about Jewish family hotels in the hayday of the Catskill Mountain hotels circa 1945 set during the week WWII ended with mushroom clouds in the summer sky, and the short-story collection The Egg Of The Glak. There have also been a slew of short stories published in magazines including New Worlds, Playboy, Omni, Esquire, Paris Review,and others including fifteen stories in Fantasy & Science Fiction, many stories in a wide range of anthologies and a drawerfull of TV scripts ranging from PBS documentaries to several episodes of Tales From The Darkside. As noted, a new story collection, My Rose And My Glove, is due from Darkside Press when the sun returns from wintering in Miami Beach. (The work is not yet available on duct tape.)

Jack Dann
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 08:33 pm:   

FYI, people...

Harvey's work will change your lives!

After I read The Juror, I kept chuckling every time I passed a courthouse...and would then keep checking over my shoulder to make sure there was no one tailing me. And for my money American Goliath is one of the great American novels. So I guess now we'll have to treat you with more respect, Harvey, hey? <grin>

Cheers,

--JACK

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 09:02 pm:   

The Juror was the book that introduced me to Harvey too. Quite a subversive piece of work <g>
Ellen

Jack Dann
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:50 pm:   

Ellen, I think it was the same for me. Barry Malzberg sent it to me. Said "You gotta read this."

Harvey Jacobs
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 02:02 pm:   

It's amazing anybody found The Juror since the publisher was pretty screwed up on distribution. I think Tom Disch's review in the Washington Post, picked up in NY, attracted some readers. The novel was first optioned for film, I was told for John Belushi. It's still under option by an independent producer. But copies are really hard to locate. Years later another novel with that name appeared and was turned into an assembly line film which had nothing to do with my book. I suppose The Juror could be called a comic novel, though its underpinning did predict what was about to happen in the '90s i.e. the "In Marketing We Trust" values that zapped America. One very eerie and disturbing thing about the story was the use of the World Trade Center as metaphor for a plan to build a skyscraper mausoleum. The "hero", an ad man, was competing for that account. Some months after the book appeared, the NY Times Magazine ran a drawing of a skyscraper mausoleum proposed for an island in the East River which really gave me the creeps. Those "towers always spooked me. It seemed that New York needed three architectural penises to declare its grandeur, teetering between pride and arrogance. It was that arrogance that was the novel's essential message, warning if you will. The hero's petty crimes were parodies of the emerging vapid yuppie mentality. But who could have fathomed the depth of fundamentalist hatred for this nation and its greatest city that led to the horror of 9/1l? Along with the nearly 3000 who perished that morning was our dear nephew, murdered five days before his first child was born. Sometimes what you write comes back to haunt the heart and head.And so it goes.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register