Case of the Nazi Canary Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Moorcock, Michael » Case of the Nazi Canary « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick Klaw
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:50 am:   

Has anyone else read Moorcock's "Case of the Nazi Canary" from McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales edited by Michael Chabon? I haven't read the entire volume yet, but for so far the Moorcock piece is easily the best of the bunch. He has the amazing ability to write an alternate history without telling you it is one. Moorcock assumes the reader will get his clues. Nothing like the storyteller treating me like I have some intelligence.

Not sure if the cost of the entire book is worth just the Moorcock piece, but if you get a chance to read it, I encourage you to do so.

Rick

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:13 pm:   

The Moorcock piece is very good as are a number of other stories in the McSweeney's anthology. For the most part I felt the genre writers (including Emshiller, Link, Fowler and Gaiman) had better contributions than the more mainstream writers. An exception to that is Rick Moody, whose novella is superb, although as a New Yorker I found it nearly unbearable to read. Come to think of it, I didn't fare much better with Hornby's. Is New York's annihilation shaping up to be the next trend in fantastic fiction? Maybe I'll switch to mysteries for a years or until we actually do get nuked, whichever comes first. Moody at least did me the courtesy of allowing my Park Slope neighborhood to survive the blast....

AngusA
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 07:10 am:   

I agree with you in the main about McSweeney's, Gabriel. Chabon himself did fine, I thought, though it wasn't a complete story. But he already knows about genre fiction or he couldn't have written some of his other work, especially Kavalier andClay. I thought the Crichton story was awful, but that's not surprising since all his other fiction looks awful. That said, wasn't the Moorcock story a rewrite from his Multiverse comic published a few years ago ?

mjm
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 10:31 am:   

You got it, Angus! Up to my old tricks of rewriting comics as short stories, short stories as comics and so on. I used to do this quite a lot in the late 50s, early 60s, and have a plan at the moment to turn an old Dogfight Dixon RFC
story which I've always had a soft spot for into a story for a pulp collection Joe Landsdale's doing. Dogfight Donovon, in this guise. I've always liked the idea of Jack Trevor Story, for instance, turning a Sexton Blake story into a posh novel with Secker and Warburg by simply changing the names. It has to do with my sense that only preconception and snobbery determines, much of the time, what is a respectable story and what isn't. My impulse to put the core of the Second Ether stories (Blood, War Amongst the Angels) into the Multiverse comic was driven by much the same desire. It's fun. It's harmless.
It makes a point.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:53 pm:   

Hello, Michael.

I too enjoyed "The Case of the Nazi Canary". Especially the title.

But as of today, my favorite piece of Moorcock fiction is "Samoan Giant Rat Bite Fever". Absolutely deranged. Possibly the funniest piece in Lambshead Guide. Me laugh big long, Bwana Muck.

In appreciation of Jerry Cornelius, Breakfast In the Ruins, and so much more, I'd like to send you a humble self-published chapbook of my comical line drawings. Unfortunately I don't know your street address. Could you possibly e-mail stepanchapman@hotmail.com and help me out with this? I'd be right grateful.

MM
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 05:15 pm:   

Thanks a lot. But as for laughing at those afflicted with SGRBF, I'm not sure I share your sense of humour. Pity the poor devil who contracts it, I say.
Nonetheless, I've sent you my street address.
It's cordoned off at the moment, so we have to
make a special trip to collect our mail.
All best,
MM

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration