Elric Comic Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Moorcock, Michael » Elric Comic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:19 pm:   

So your Elric comic book is finally coming out. I heard about it over a year ago and have been waiting about. So anyway I'd like to know what you feel is the difference between writing for comics and writing novels?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 01:55 am:   

Is this the one with the art Walt drew on oversized boards that's had insiders drooling? Moorcock and Simonson really is a dream-team for me. The 'Multiverse' comics are fun.

I'm not Mr. Moorcock, but I'll chime in on the whole comics vs. prose thing: personally, I find writing comic plots or scripts and writing prose quite different. In a comic, you want as few words as possible, and you need to be able to get info across through images (a talent most prose writers have to at least a limited extent). Images are always important in prose, but you approach them differently. In fact, sometimes the fun in reading speculative prose is letting your imagination work on the crazy ideas.

Bottom line -- when working on a comic script, I usually just try to get out of the way and let the artists do their thing. They usually have a much better sense of pace and drama than me, anyway. Of course, there are different kinds of comics: I recently completed a work-for-hire manga script, and the editor had me go back in and add more specific direction for the artists and more wordy dialogue. Every kind of writing, on some level, is just problem solving :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration