I see reports like this - Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williamson, Neil » I see reports like this - « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

neilw
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4600217.stm

And I can *feel* my fibula knitting with the promise of seeing one of these babies down Hubbards whenever I'm able to walk again.

Dunmore
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 06:00 pm:   

Ah, one can only wish that these machines become commonplace, and that they have them, not only in pubs, but at swimming pools, bingo halls, garages, gymnasiums, job centres--everywhere where you'd expect to find one for the common good.

One has to say, it's a typically scottish invention that, one day, will be a typically global household item, just like the telephone or tv or the bicycle (if, indeed--calling on John Klima--that is truly a scottish invention).

neilw
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 03:23 pm:   

Telephone, Tv and Bicycle - well I think history now has us down as "having a hand in the development of" rather thanoutright claim over, and the same will be said of the beer vending machine.

Of course it will never be seen in Scottish pubs as the risk for people to binge to greatly without check is way too high.

*sigh*

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   

So, does the machine comp you drinks like a good (tipped) bartender will? Is the machine all hawt like a good bartender can be? I'll put in a dissenting voice to this.

Sure, put one in my home, but leave the bartending to bartenders! :-)

JK

neilw
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 01:06 am:   

Fair point John - but what you got to understand is here people don't care over much about bartending such as it is. All they really want is beer. Fast. It'd work here, I'm sure.

al duncan
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 01:40 am:   

"... here people don't care over much about bartending such as it is... "

Speak fer yerself. A barman who can mix a good White Russian / Dry Gin Martini / Mojito / Bloody Mary / etc. is the prime motivating factor in my choice of drinking venue.

T Andrews
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 04:40 am:   

Never underestimate the benefit of a good barmaid. We are the modern shaman. Our psychoanalytic skills are something you'd never get out of a machine. Besides-how many guys would be able to properly pour their own Guinness? :-)

gary gibson
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 05:13 am:   

"Speak fer yerself. A barman who can mix a good White Russian / Dry Gin Martini / Mojito / Bloody Mary / etc. is the prime motivating factor in my choice of drinking venue."

And there was me foolishly thinking you only liked bars where they drew smiley faces on the top of your Guinness.

neilw
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 05:44 am:   

Okay, so maybe that was a generalisation, but I'm thinking of those city centre superpubs that are *hoaching* on a Saturday night and it takes you an hour to buy a round.

The places Al describes are of course ideal, but perhaps he's not the market for this invention.

Gary - I'm sure that they could make a machine to draw a smiley face on a Guiness head - basic CNC isn't it?

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 06:37 am:   

OK, I'll concede that waiting for drinks is no good and any technology to help that is beneficial to man kind. But I guess I'm more like Al, I won't find myself in a place that crowded. :-)

JK

Dunmore
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:14 am:   

A second generation of machines capable of mixing all the good old-fashioned classic drinks may be a solution.

But, the thing I'm wondering is, won't the crush of people at the bar just overspill into queues for the machine? And then, when people start to cheat, and arguements break out, and all hell breaks loose... It would be like the Fri/Sat taxi rank syndrome, but indoors! in your own favourite haunt!

Dunmore
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

"I think history now has us down as "having a hand in the development of" rather than outright claim over"

Ssshhh, we're not supposed to tell them that.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

Come come. No machine can mix a proper martini. There are very few humans with hands delicate enough. How can a machine?

And could a machine really be able to add the right hint of orange bitters to a Blind Jenny? Or be able to correctly salt a German Hooker?

I think not.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:34 am:   

Excellent arguments. And what if I like my drinks stronger than the next guy? Can the machine adjust for me? And what happens when a bottle empties, do we wait for a technician to come out and load the new bottle?

JK

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

Yes, I can see all kinds of bizarre and disasterous consequences, such as my Breast Carresser coming in a highball glass instead of a cocktail glass, or my Red Frog being made with some odd generic type of whisky instead of the correct Crown Royal Canadian whisky.

Anna Tambour
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:49 pm:   

And the pic--inventor with two models--the story reporting, "models are being designed that can accept payment via credit card or mobile phone."

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 06:57 am:   

Yeah Anna, are they refering to the drink-making machine or the young ladies with the inventor?

JK

Anna Tambour
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 12:51 am:   

Well, John, I don't know. Did form trump function in the pic, or might these be the two models? What do you reckon would take in more revenue in the pub? A vandal-proofed vending machine that says "Ice Cold Beer" and looks like the vending machines that sit in railway stations--or either one of these two models, with a slot labelled "insert card here, Press key for denominations of 10."

Dunmore
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 02:32 am:   

Ah, now I see why Brendan was talking about German Hookers and Breast Carressers.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration