"Neil Williamson" - where have I hear... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williamson, Neil » "Neil Williamson" - where have I heard that name before? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neil
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 05:30 am:   

For those of you (most of you, I'd guess) who don't know me, I'm a writer from Glasgow, in Scotland.

It's possible you might have read my fiction recently in Interzone, The Third Alternative, or Lady Chuchill's Rosebud Wristlet. Or possibly you've sneeked a peek at the contents list for The Thackery T Lambshead Pocket Guide To Eccentric and Discredited Diseases (forthcoming this year from Nightshade Books). Or maybe you bumped into me at a convention, apologised politely, and went on your way.

Well, now you know. That was me.

If anyone wants to know more. All you have to do is ask.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 08:57 am:   

Hey, Neil. About time you got here.

And you know me, I never apologise.

Neil
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 09:07 am:   

Jay - You know I'd never ask you to do anything that was against your nature.

Thanks for dropping in.

Anne Sydenham
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 07:19 pm:   

Hi Neil,

I had the pleasure of meeting you at the WFC in Minneapolis. I'm the creator of the Whittemore site in case you can't recall who I am.

Cheers,

Anne

Neil
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 06:36 am:   

Hi Anne

Of course I remember meeting you! How's the horse racing going?

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 11:03 am:   

Hi Neil, Hi Anne! Is that what you guys were talking about on that side of the table? No wonder our waiter was giving us such weird looks. Or was that just me?

Forrest

Robert W.
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 11:30 am:   

I thought they were talking about horse tasting. That's the problem with trying to follow conversations in large groups.

Robert

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 11:36 am:   

Yeah, me too. Now I'm wondering what we ate that night.

Forrest

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 12:11 pm:   

Hey Neil:
I hear both you and Chris Butler have stories upcoming in Interzone. Milford 2002 rules!
When and what, may I ask?
Nancy

Neil
Posted on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 05:11 am:   

Forrest and Robert - yes, horse tasting. Lovely, pastime. You can only truly appreciate the magnificence of the animals by having a good lick. Not EATING them - that'd like cannibalism. Just a nibble of the back of the neck.

If you're interested, Palominos tast remarkably similar to Shetland ponies, except a little sweeter.

Neil
Posted on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 05:14 am:   

Nancy - hi!

Yes, Chris and I made a bit of a Milford assault on Interzone. Chris's story, "The Smart Minefield" is in the current (January) issue, and my WWI supernatural thingy was in the previous issue.

I believe congrats are due to you too on selling to the MOTA anthology?

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:35 am:   

Hi Neil:
Yeah, I'm excited about the Mota anthology. A group of us are going to read from it at Wiscon. You should come and join Forrest's famous Madison tour (see Timmi Duchamp's board for further info).
Hope I can get my hands some copies of Interzone so I can read you guys.
As to horse tasting: I'd have never dared lick my horse's neck, though I expect she'd have had a tart flavor (she was sorrel, with a nasty disposition). She used to taste the occasional person, though. And I never asked her what shetland pony tasted like, but I'm sure she knew: She tried to bite them at every opportunity. Is it still cannibalism when horses eat other horses?
Nancy

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 08:01 am:   

MOTA antho?

Horse cannibalism? I'm out of town without internet access for three days and the whole world changed.

Neil
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 05:11 am:   

Jeff, the world hasn't changed. You have. After your dream-interview with Sal, you've been granted access to the next level in. It'll take a few days to adjust to all the subtle differences but then you won't be able to remember what it was like before.

neil
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 05:14 am:   

Nancy - I'd love to come to Wiscon, especially for Forrest's tour, but sadly it's a bit far (and I'm not sure I can really afford three trans-Atlantic trips within 9 months. Hope you have fun at the reading.

Horses eating other horses is still horse cannibalism, yes. Of course.

Unless they're sea horses.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 05:59 am:   

Hey, Neil, you doing Eastercon? We going to do a wonderful DISEASE GUIDE reading together?

neil
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 06:04 am:   

Jay - yep, I'm going to Eastercon. There'll be a few other Diseases there too as far as I know. Perhaps we should be asking the editors if they want to arrange (or us to arrange) something?

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:48 am:   

Already hassling Roberts on it. And you know what a hassler I am.

Liz Williams
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:43 am:   

Neil, yo dude (sorry, I just thought I'd be annoying for no good reason). Just doing a hit and run on the boards. And hi too to Nancy and Jay.

I am trying to figure out Eastercon (I won't be going to Norwescon this year, alas, as I'm planning a bigger trip in the summer and resources are not bottomless). But I may make Hinckley. In which case you can count on another diseased person. As it were.

Liz

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:20 pm:   

Liz, cool. Hope you can make it to that armpit of the universe...

Neil
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 01:06 am:   

Hi Liz (you're never annoying!)

Hope you can make Eastercon. It'd be neat to have a showing of diseases - there'll be at leats half a dozen contributers there by my reckoning.

Probably best if we approach the editors and publisher first and sound out their opinions.

Later, dudette

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 01:49 am:   

Well, the publisher is all for it. What do you need from me?

Jason

Neil
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 05:07 am:   

Hey, great Jason!

I think for the time being we'll let Mark and Jeff work out who's attending and who's interested in taking part first.

I guess any UK contributors attending Eastercon are welcome to post here to register interest for the time being.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:39 am:   

Mark just sent out an email...

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 06:12 pm:   

Hey, Neil. Tell us more about Eastercon. What is it? Who goes to it? Is it sexy?

Neil Williamson
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 01:42 am:   

Well, Jeff, since you ask. Eastercon is the British National SF convention, run annually by the BSFA. It got it's name from being held over the Easter weekend every year, and it ranges in location from as far north as Glasgow, to the southern extremity that is Brighton.

While, it's nominally the annual SF convention, it attracts probably between 500 and 1000 fans, writers, editors from both the SF and Fantasy camps. The BFS's Fantasycon is a much smaller affair and attracts mainly dark fantasy and horror peeps.

Who goes to it? Well, in format it's not an enormous affair like a Worldcon. It's more like the size of WFC, so it's a good venue for writers and editors to hang out together, chat, maybe do a little business. Curry is often involved. Efforts are made to plan the curry for the time when the dressing up stuff is happening.

Sexy? No, I wouldn't say sexy.

...although of course Mr Caselberg will be there. So I guess it depends on your definition of sexy.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 02:28 am:   

Oh, you sweet thang.

You forgot one thing, Neil. Beer. It involves lots and lots of beer. Oh, and vast tracts of pale, pasty, naked flesh that just should not be naked. The hotel this year is in a scrofulous neck of the woods, with no woods, trees or anything but a major trucking route.

It does, however, attract most of the worthies of the bar-wedded genre Britpack.

liz williams
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 04:04 am:   

Neil - I will definitely now be going to Eastercon. Thought I couldn't make it, but due to some friends inconsiderately getting married, I have been obliged to reshuffle my holiday plans and this frees up Easter. So that's good.

At least, I think it's good. After the Tor launch, as I believe I mentioned on Storyville, I have been compelled to have my liver surgically removed and sent on a rest cure in France. If it's back by Easter, I'll see you in the bar.

cheers

Liz W

Neil Williamson
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:33 am:   

Liz- Good news! It'll be good to see you. You'll be safe with me in the bar - I won't be drinking this year. Well, not a lot. Probably.

:D

liz williams
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 07:09 am:   

Me and my liver will stick with you in that case, Neil.

Apologies if you're having lunch while reading this, BTW. You know what I mean

Neil Williamson
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 07:24 am:   

I was just enjoying a light lunch of fava beans, as it happens, so your talk of liver wasn't out of place at all.

I'm not in the least squeamish in any case, Liz.

liz williams
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:45 am:   

No, I had noticed your lack of squeam.

"Squeam and Chianti." There's a thought.

(Really must do some work instead of hanging out in here...)

Liz

Neil Williamson
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 09:12 am:   

Yeah, back to work, you!

There's a readership desperate for Army of Mothers, you know!

Jay C
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 09:57 am:   

Yeah, back to work you too, Williamson.

The bar at Eastercon. Mwahahahahahahahah.

liz williams
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:35 am:   

I have actually written something today and yes, it is Army of M which is now called Banner of Souls (this week's title).

I have chosen to ignore J's clearly deranged laugh. My liver shall remain pure of all but the finest mineral water.

Neil Williamson
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:37 am:   

Liz - Banner of Souls. I like that - although with AoM I kinda liked the way you confounded my preconception of ranks of women armed with lipsticked lips, spit and abrasive tissues, by introducing fearsome Martian warrior princesses instead.

Jay - I *have* been working. Very hard, actually!

liz williams
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:54 am:   

It's a Chinese folklore-type term. I knew what it meant last week but now I've forgotten. Never mind, it'll come back.

I thought AOM sounded on balance a bit too much like the Salvation Army.

The fearsome Martian princess is still around (not really a princess, she just thinks she is. Martians are like cats: they always think they're royal). However, I'm about to really fuck her up and make her lose her armour. Ha!

Neil - I think you may have mentioned this to the 'Ville, but whatcha working on?

Liz

Neil Williamson
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:47 am:   

Liz -

Is she still called DreamsOfWar? Fuck her up as much as you like - I'm sure she'll bear up admirably eventually.

At the moment I'm working on a *very* long story. Gonna try and finish the draft over the next couple of days while I'm off on a training course. I've also just finished a new short story.

Then I'll be going back at long last to try and kick my Milford story into shape!! I'm hopeful to have that done by Easter.

liz williams
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:58 am:   

Yes, she is still Dreams-of-War. She deserves to be fucked up a bit - it'll do her good.

Look forward to seeing your Milford story in print!

Chris Butler
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 06:29 am:   

Hi Neil. Who knew you had one of these? What an amazing discovery. And not only that, but I've been brought up in the conversation too. Some way back though, so it's time I was mentioned again.

Yes Neil, we all want to see your Milford story in print. Get on with it.

Neil Williamson
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 06:53 am:   

Hey Chris. Well, you know me. I like to keep these little surprises up my sleeve.

I also am looking forward to seeing my Milford story in print, but I haven't had the chance to look at it since before Christmas. I know I have a few pages of very, very detailled notes of how to perfect it but... well, we'll see once the current workload is out of the way.

Meantime, it's all right for Liz to chide me cos she's sold her Milford story (when's it out Liz?), I assume from your confidence that you also have good news to report, hmm?

Chris Butler
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 07:43 am:   

Would I chide you? I'm just eager to read it cos it's going to be soooo good.

As for mine, well I've just completed a new draft of the short story and it'll get sent out in the not-too-distant future. Will that do?

Confidence? What's that?

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 07:50 am:   

Hello Chris!

Chide? I never chide.

I'm looking forward to seeing both of them in print.

I don't know when the Tycho story is coming out but Gardner has paid me (woohoo!) so I am assuming it will not be long.

On the novel front: Dreams-of-War is today trapped in an underground car park somewhere in China, about to do battle with a load of tigers. Minus her armour: it got inadvertently welded to the side of a spaceship and took off.

This is one of my 'I love writing, wheee!' days. I am such a fan girl sometimes. Tomorrow, no doubt, I shall be jaded once more.

Chris Butler
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:00 am:   

Liz - I was trying to stop myself from talking about you on Neil's message board, but holy freakin bejeezers I wanna read more Dreams-of-War stuff now!! Must be patient, must be patient. The publishing world just doesn't know what's coming!!

Plus, congrats on the Tycho story.

And it's official, neither of us ever chides.

Neil Williamson
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:02 am:   

Well, okay, I suppose "chide" was a little strong. I apologise to both of you.

Good news on the story, Chris. That'll do nicely. If you're looking for a quick piece of fun stuff to do I might recommend the 87 cabinets threads in Vandermeer's area.

Liz, I would so KILL to have a day where I stuck my favourite character (relatively) defenceless up against a load of tigers. Cool!

Glad you're having a good day. When you have good days, your readers have good days (only not at the smae time obviously).

Neil Williamson
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:05 am:   

Yeah, Dreams-Of-War should appear in many sequels. She should get her own cartoon series. She should get a major feature franchise starring, ooh, I dunno Julieanne Moore or someone like that.

Patience Chris.

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:25 am:   

>Liz, I would so KILL to have a day where I stuck my favourite character (relatively) defenceless up against a load of tigers.

It doesn't happen to me much, either. I am making the most of it, believe me. Chris, thanks for your confidence in nutso Martian princesses!

I'm not sure whether Julianne Moore could muster the requisite....I dunno....psycho-killer rolling-eyed bitch-queeniness, somehow. I mean, DOW had to have implants to make her even a little bit nicer.

Though otherwise it's an excellent choice of actress. Either that or Miranda Richardson, though she'd need to pump iron for a few months beforehand.

Chris Butler
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 01:37 am:   

> thanks for your confidence in nutso Martian princesses!

Well, I wouldn't want to date one. Unless I was tired of living. Although... she is quite sexy. Oh go on then.

Good actress suggestions. How about Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio? I bet she could do psycho-killer rolling-eyed bitch-queeniness.

Neil
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 01:43 am:   

If you want rolling-eyed btich-queeniness, I'd suggest that Miriam Margolyes scares the bejesus outta me, but she might not have quite the right figure for that armour.

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 02:01 am:   

Possibly not QUITE what I had in mind, Neil, though she is mucho alarming at times. Chris: not a bad suggestion at all.

I don't want to go too far down the Lucy Lawless route...DOW is supposed to be a blonde. She's stilll rucking around with the tigers, by the way (this is, horribly, based on a real incident involving the son of some friends of mine: he's teaching in China at the moment, and went off to Harbin one weekend. On the Saturday night his students took him out to the 'entertainment', which turned out to be held in an underground carpark. Someone turned up with a van full of - you've guessed it - tigers, and someone else with a van full of goats. Both were released, the results were messy and predictable, and everyone except a traumatised Dan went home presumably feeling that a good night out had been had by all...)

You can't get weirder than life, it sometimes seems.

Oh well, back to the tigers...

Chris Butler
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 04:12 am:   

How did they get the tigers back into the van?

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 06:11 am:   

I have no idea. I don't even know how _I'm_ going to get the tigers back in the van.

Maybe they didn't??

Chris Butler
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 06:22 am:   

So Neil, whaddaya have planned for the weekend?

Neil Williamson
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 07:04 am:   

OOoh, lessee.

Tonight we're going to the CCA to see Ringu (having just seen the recent US made remake). Tomorrow, football. Over and above and around all that, I'll be writing.

Oh, and Sunday night I've been invited out for some "entertainment" down our local multi-storey.

How about yourself?

Chris Butler
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 07:32 am:   

A quiet weekend for me. Ah, bliss. I'll be writing of course. Actually the urgent thing is to get some submissions sent off. Apart from that, I am fighting a losing battle with my garden. Spring is here and it's all gone and started growing again! I'm out drinking beer tonight.

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 08:35 am:   

Have fun, folks. I shall be at the BSFA thing for a bit tomorrow, and then on to Gloucester to see my parents (gawd, it never ends - my aunt dropped dead last night. Don't worry about condolences, BTW - we've sort of been through that already...grim).

Neil Williamson
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 08:42 am:   

I'm sorry to hear it all the same, Liz.

I hope something good comes your way this weekend.

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 09:09 am:   

Thanks Neil - I need it!! These things do tend to go in clusters (it's being a Pisces, I tell you - much Uranian weirdness at the mo).

Chris Butler
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:51 am:   

Congrats on your YBFH honourable mention, Neil.

Neil
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:39 am:   

Hey thanks Chris... they came as a nice surprise. Equal share of kudos pie to Mark Roberts of course.

Neil A
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:58 am:   

Hi Neil - slightly delayed praise for your work:

I just realised it was ye who wrote Amber Rain. Thought I'd drop in here and say how much I liked that story. Er... I liked that story a lot, Neil.

Neil.

PS
Yes, it appears I've taken the whole stalking thing seriously.

Neil don't have to use the 'w' here cos it's my bit, right?
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:59 am:   

Many thanks for that, Neil. That's kind of you to say.

That stalking thing though, it's all a carefully rigged trap to mete some random event on the first person to use my message board this year.

Wheels have been put in motion. Expect randomness.

neil

Liz
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:14 am:   

Stalk 'im, Other Neil! For he is my Nemesis!!!

Hello Neil W. Just popped into the Gabbler's lair to taunt you.

PS: yes, I am avoiding working....

Neil
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:20 am:   

Bah!

No fair peeking at my contraptions and gizmos of gabblement before they're ready!

>"yes, I'm avoiding working..."

Damn, she's always so cryptic. What can that mean???

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration