HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Vague but not especially ambiguous co...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Vague but not especially ambiguous congratulations « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

F_dreier
Username: F_dreier

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   

It seems RSS and LiveJournal feeds live by their own harsh and uncompromising rules that care little for those of mankind and its institutions. Still, adhering to social fictions in the face of contrary evidence is what separates us from the beasts, so I won't aid in the dissemination of anything that's not 100% official and authorized. I'll just offer my congratulations.

For all five of them.

F_dreier
Username: F_dreier

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   

Ah, well, it's official now. That was a short-lived in-crowd.

The 2008 Hugo nominees:

http://www.denvention.org/hugos/08hugonomlist.php

...which include:

Best Novella
“Stars Seen Through Stone” by Lucius Shepard (F&SF July 2007)
“Memorare” by Gene Wolfe (F&SF April 2007)

Best Novelette
“The Merchant and the Alchemist”s Gate” by Ted Chiang (F&SF Sept. 2007)
“Finisterra” by David Moles (F&SF Dec. 2007)

Best Professional Editor, Short Form
Gordon Van Gelder

Fabrice_d
Username: Fabrice_d

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 03:56 am:   

On the whole, a very good selection (although only two of my own nominations made it into the final ballot: "Finisterra" and "Recovering Apollo 8").

And Gordon will probably win his second Hugo!

Fabrice_d

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 06:04 am:   

Concerning the novels, I didn't nominate any, because the only 3 2007 novels I've read so far were not, IMO, Hugo stuff. Strange, 2 out of 3 are on the ballot:
"The Lost Colony": a very enjoyable novel indeed, nothing wrong with it. Except pleasant is not enough to win a Hugo: it must have something else ... that makes it stand out. That's not the case here.
"Rollback" (serialized integrally in Analog): a very minor Sawyer. The circumstances of the plot are interesting, but given that, the characters are a bit shallow, and the plot unsurprising. A good canvas, but not enough flesh and heart in the novel. A failed potential very good novel.

Fabrice_d

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 06:13 am:   

Concerning the novellas, my fave is not on the ballot (Simmon's "Muse of Fire"). I nominated "Recovering...", but "Stars Seen through Stone", "Fountain of Age" and "Memorare" were on my short list. "All Seated..." was too heavy-handed for me, that heavyhandedness killed part of the fun for me.
Concerning the novelettes, the strongest category this year, my fave "Finisterra" is on the ballot (I placed it first in my Locus vote too). "Dark Integers" and "Glory" were strong Egan's stories (but "Steve Fever" was still better). "The Merchant..." was a wonderful tale, I didn't nominate it only because the SF argument was very slight, but it is nonetheless one of the best stories of the year. All four are in my shortlist. Didn't read "The Cambist...".

Fabrice_d

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 06:24 am:   

Concerning the short stories, only two are on my shortlist: "Last Contact" and "Tideline", two emotionally powerful stories. "Distant Replay" was a minor Resnick Story. "Who is afraid..." didn't work for me (read "Lighting Out", if you want to read a really good Ken MacLeod's Story!). As for the Swanwick's story, it felt more like an novel excerpt than a real story.

As for the editors, 3 of the nominees were on my Hugo nomination ballot: the holy trilogy Sheila/Gordon/Stanley.

And don't ask me which editor I placed first in my Locus vote ... I don't want the Asimov's guy to learn about it!!!
(Clue: he's a fortyish bearded editor with a liking for the spilogale philum)

Marian
Username: Marian

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 07:20 am:   

The Lost Colony is the only one of the novels that I've read and I'm with Fabrice. There's nothing wrong with it as a minor, light weight, enjoyable novel that rounds off a trilogy (begun with Old Man's War) but it's not outstanding enough to deserve a Hugo.
The other categories are stronger or maybe I've just read more of them: Memorae, The Dark Integers, Fountain of Age, Tideline, Recovering Apollo 8 all worthy of nomination.
All seated On The Ground is like The Lost Colony to me. A perfectly good minor story but not worthy of a Hugo. Connie Willis has done much, much better work that that.

Dave_truesdale
Username: Dave_truesdale

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:21 am:   

Super duper, ultra-sincere congrats to Gordon and F&SF for this year's Hugo finalists!

I hope you'll all indulge/humor me for a bit, but my (print only) Recommended Reading List was published just _before_ the cutoff date for the final Hugo nominations (unfortunately too late to have any potential effect). Here's the url:

http://www.blackgate.com/articles/years_best_2007.htm

I got lucky this year. :-) I began with a large Recommended Reading List of 214 print stories, then narrowed it down to 65 Best of the Year stories, then even further to 27 Personal Favorites covering all 3 short fiction categories.

Of the 15 short fiction finalists, I had 11 Hugo finalists on my Best of the Year list. And of the 15 short fiction finalists I ended up with 6 on my Personal Favorites list, spread among the trio of categories. That's _almost_ half of the Hugo finalists on my Personal Favorites list. Yowzzir! And seeing as how 12 or so of the Hugo finalists are definitely SF and not F, then I have an even greater shot at some of my Bests, and Personal Favorites, showing up on the World Fantasy Award final list, and maybe even one on one of the two Horror final lists for 2007. Not bad, and like I say, I maybe got lucky this year. :-)

Note also that there are no finalists from online venues, and a greater percentage of finalists came from original anthologies (both stats decidedly different from the final Nebula ballot, and all to the good I say, speaking only to the issue of more original anthology nominees).

Hmm. Speaking off the top of my head here, and concerning the novel category, of which I am woefully ignorant this year? I can't help but think that since those eligible to vote for this year's Hugo also come from those who paid and were eligible to vote on _last_ year's Hugos, and last year's Hugos were held in Japan, and there are quite a lot of Japanese voters therefore still eligible to vote on this year’s Hugos, AND as history has proven they LOVE Robert Sawyer, having awarded him at least one and maybe a coupla Seiun Awards for his novels in the recent past? That maybe, just maybe, this accounts for Rob's (a friend of mine, btw, though I haven’t read any of his more recent work) ROLLBACK making the ballot. Not that this *might* be the _only_ reason, for Rob's stuff is popular here, too, and has even won a Nebula a few years back, and at least one recent Hugo here at home in the novel category not too long ago. But it would account for some less than favorable comments about his novel making the final cut this year, because commentators/critics may have forgotten the Japanese vote and its influence.

Just thinking out loud, is all...but it _is_ a possibility, yes?

Dave

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |