F&SF towards 60 years Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF towards 60 years « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:03 am:   

In 2009, F&SF will celebrate its 60th anniversary.
In your opinion, which are the most oustanding stories published there during theses six decades (cutting-edge, trend-setting, ... etc...)?

In your opinion, what makes F&SF different from its fellow-magazine counterparts (today's and yesterday's)? What qualities contribute to that special F&SF flavor?

Also time, IMO, to prepare a 60th anniversary anthology, no? It would be good PR.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:31 am:   

We're working on an anthology, Fabrice. And I've got other things planned already to celebrate our 60th birtday . . . but suggestions are certainly welcome.

And I won't answer your other survey questions except to quote Mike Ashley, who says that F&SF in his opinion has maintained the same basic voice and vision throughout its history.

Jeff Smith
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   

Gordon, what Mike Ashley said has also been my own opinion about the magazine. While each editor has brought in his or her own taste, there has been an amazing consistency over the years. And that consistency has sort of been about a lack of consistency -- a diversity. The editors have always been wide-ranging. I think the Bob Mills era was the least "F&SF-ish," the closest to a generic sf magazine, but he published a lot of good stories so he gets a pass.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register