HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Two Lost Forums Have Been Found

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » The Two Lost Forums Have Been Found « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marian Powell
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   

Analog and Asimov's are back!!! Though in a different rather wierd format

Byron Bailey
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 02:54 pm:   

Just as soon as I finished building the saloon and whorehouse, everybody leaves. I would have gotten rich off of Wilder if the boom had only lasted.

Is that a tumbleweed I see? A cactus? An agave? A ghost?

Tequila anyone? Don't swallow the worm, though. They own the town now.

Luke Jackson
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 03:27 pm:   

Ah, well. It was fun while it lasted.

Clint Harris
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   

I have been denied. That's what happens when you try out the new bells and whistles I guess. Set up a profile and get told you have to have some stupid authentication code or something. That's alright. I went cold turkey on the second of November and really don't give a fig anymore. I post to my blog occasionally, but since the forum has been down, I've been writing like a mad fiend. Now if only I could kick that pesky heroin habit. :-)

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 07:47 am:   

Don't swallow the worm, though. They own the town now.

Not intended as a reference to Nightshades or anyone on this forum but rather as a reference to the sad little ghost town of Asimov Gulch.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   

I coughed as I walked down a now deserted Main Street to the edge of town. Each step I took kicked up a cloud of dust to plaster my tongue, my mouth, and the inside of my throat with grit lacking even a hint of gold. My lips puckered at the taste of abandonment.

The sign said, "ASIMOV'S GULCH: CURRENT POPULATION ZERO NOT COUNTING SCORPIONS AND NEOCONS." I walked past it, my eyes drawn to the patches of tumbleweed appearing as if they had been thrown across the landscape by a god with nothing better to do than getting rid of his belly button lint.

The pain brought my focus back upon myself. I stared at the aluminum arrow protruding from my thigh. Red dripping on the sand, more color than this place had seen in quite a while. I'm vaguely proud yet worried. Blood, that's bad when it's mine, right?

"Right," one of the most respected citizens of Asimov's Gulch said, a compound bow in his hand. "There's right and then there's left. There's good and then there's evil."

I pointed to the arrow sticking in my leg. "How?" I said.

"Apache."

"Helicopter?"

"No. Indian. And they don't say, 'How.' They're not friendly. They just shoot like they did you. I guess this means war."

"Do they have gold?"

"Yeah."

"Then I guess it does mean war."

(Farewell Asimov's Gulch).

Luke Jackson
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 03:20 pm:   

I'm not a big-game hunter. I've made that very clear. I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will.

GSH
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   

How small can game get and still be worthy of a hunt?

creepy crawler

(If rhetorical questions bug you, please ignore this one.)

Byron Bailey
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 04:06 pm:   

Oh oh oh oh oh oh! I think I saw this show on Survivorman or was it Man Versus Wild and yes, it's entirely possibly to hunt small things like ants and gain sustenance from them. However, you need to ask yourself what Les Stroud would do. Never ask yourself what Bear Grylls would do. Never.

And what would Les Stroud do in order to hunt these delicious bugs? I suspect he would carefully craft an appropriate hunting tool out of an agave leaf. Instant needle and thread! Instant insect harpoon! Aim at six-legged victim no more than one foot away (long range). Throw. Like a shishkabob, insert skewered victim into your mouth. Thankfully, if you hunt small game this way, you can avoid getting your hands dirtied by insects. Beautiful!

And what would Bear Grylls do? I told you not to ask but since you asked, Bear Grylls would probably strip naked, chop off a rattlesnake's head and use the venom to dip his agave needle in, creating an instant envonomed insect harpoon which is way cooler than that Stroud fellow's plain insect harpoon any day. Meanwhile, Les Stroud tossess away his insect harpoon, grabs Bear Gryll's rattlesnake and starts cooking. Yum. Ghost town chicken.

Marian Powell
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:18 am:   

GSH, everytime I see your post I want to slap the screen, or borrow Byron's insect harpoon. :-)

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:52 am:   

Note the meandering ant in "The Two Lost Forums Have Been Found" is tracing out the mathematical symbol for infinity. said GSH

Well, it is tracing the mathematical symbol for eight, no?

GSH
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:52 am:   

The bug is impervious to all forms of attack, being on the inside of the glass.

Admittedly you've got to set your monitor on it's side for my infinity theory to make sense. One must try to think like an alien when attempting to decipher an alien communication. Up and down are less relevant to a bug who effortlessly treds upon vertical surfaces.

I considered 8, but eventually rejected the hypothesis. Unlike 42, 8 conveys no apparent truth about the ultimate meaning of the universe. Unless of course you're staying in a Super 8 Motel watching a bug on the wall...

GSH
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   

Speaking of hypothesises... Can anybody offer one explaining this?

Missing Space Paradox

I'm sure we all see the problem.

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   

You're an illusionist, GSH, not a real magician.
I see the problem with my (inner) eyes.

GSH
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 01:27 pm:   

It's all illusion. Some bits are just more persistently convincing than others.

Gerry Daumiller
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   

Neither "hypotenuse" is a straight line. The top big "triangle" has an inward angle at the junction between the two small triangles and the bottom one has an outward angle.

I know this, not from looking at the big "triangles", but because the dark green triangle has a run of 5 squares and a rise of 2 (for a slope of .4) while the red one has a run of 8 and a rise of 3 (for a slope of .375).

The lengths of the sides of the triangles formed by the two sections of each "hypotenuse" are the square roots of 194, 73, and 29. A triangle whose sides have these lengths has an area of 0.50, so the difference in area between the two figures is 1 square.

Gerry Daumiller
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   

Here's a picture showing the difference between the two "triangles". Its hard to see because its almost thinner than the lines used to draw the triangles.

triangle picture

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 04:30 am:   

GSH is the new Einstein: after the Einsteinian "E = MC2", the GSHian "2/5=3/8", also formulated as "15 = 16". Perhaps the secret formula for FTL travel???

Luke Jackson
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:49 am:   

15 = 16?! Well, since 1 = 2, it logically follows:

Proof:

1. Let a=b;
2. Then a(squared)=ab;
3. a(squared) + a(squared) = a(squared) + ab;
4. 2a(squared) = a(squared) + ab;
5. 2a(squared) - 2ab = a(squared) + ab - 2ab;
6. and 2a(squared) - 2ab = a(squared) - ab;
7. or 2(a(squared)-ab) = 1 (a(squared)-ab);
8. therefore 1=2.

Lee S.
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   

um...to make that a little easier to look at:

1. Let a=b;
2. Then a2=ab;
3. a2 + a2 = a2 + ab;
4. 2a2 = a2 + ab;
5. 2a2 - 2ab = a2 + ab - 2ab;
6. and 2a2 - 2ab = a2 - ab;
7. or 2(a2-ab) = 1 (a2-ab);
8. therefore 1=2.

I remember this deal from high school, but I can't remember the faulity logic point...other than to say I'm cringing at the logic on the lefthand side of the equation between steps #6 & #7. It's been nearly thirty years, but I don't remember that you could do that...there also seems something not quite "kosher" between steps #4 & #5...at steps number 5 & 6, the equation can be reduced to "0 = 0", but on step number 7 it's become "2" equals "1"...hrumpf !

Gerry Daumiller
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 09:19 pm:   

To get from step 7 to step 8, you divide both sides of the equation by (a2 - ab). But (a2 - ab) equals zero.

I think I was taught in high school that this is exactly the reason mathematicians decided that you can't divide by zero -- if you can divide by zero, you can prove anything you want.

GSH
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:03 am:   

Paired two-dimensional representations of a tesseract that can be viewed as a 3D stereogram:

tesseract sterogram

View by centering the pair before your eyes, then relax your focus until the two images merge to form a third 3D image between them.

You can then nuts trying to find all 8 cubes and imagining them happily living together somewhere in the 4th dimension. Be careful not to get your eyes stuck or your brain bent.

GSH
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 09:14 am:   

You can then go nuts...

Interesting how often my brain tricks me into seeing what I intended to type in place of what I actually typed.

Sam Hidaka
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   

Hi all,

Sorry to threadjack this back to the original topic, but . . .

It seems that I'm banned from the Analog and Asimov's forums. I get this message:

- - - - -
Action Not Permitted -- IP Banned

Due to previous abuse, users from your internet service provider are not permitted to post to, administer, search, or otherwise participate on this board. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Please contact Website Administrator if this problem persists.

Discus Professional 4.10.1
Copyright © 2006, DiscusWare, LLC, all rights reserved
Perl 5.006001/solaris
- - - - -

Hmm . . . my ISP is Earthlink.

If the Analog and Asimov's forums consider Earthlink a problem, then I guess I won't be posting there any more.

I'm even prevented from lurking. Oh well.

Of course, it's probably because I'm such an evil influence on SF, and even in discussions of SF . . . :-)

BTW, Is anyone else banned from those two forums?

GSH
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 01:04 am:   

Hey, that happened to me too at Asimov's Thursday evening. I got the same message when I tried to make a post that contained a hyperlink to a YouTube video. (An amusing one, devoid of controversial content.) Subsequently I couldn't even go back in to view the Forum.

I e-mailed the Website Administrator explaining what happened. A couple of hours later I had full access back. I'm not sure if they kindly fixed things for me, or if it was some sort of fixed duration automated time-out that lifted on its own.

Bet it's part of the spam defense. Bet it doesn't like YouTube links. But I have no intention of testing my theory.

Sheila Williams
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   

It's just a glitch that has hopefully been resolved.

Sam Hidaka
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 03:41 pm:   

Yup. I had an email from Webmaster Willie this morning, informing me that my situation has been fixed. (And yes, it seems that the anti-spam software had been behaving overly aggressive.)

I've just now had time to check the boards, and I am able to access.

I'm still probably an evil influence . . . but apparently, not so evil as to be banned. :-)

Trevor E. Hackshaw
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   

Yeah, Sam. You don't want to get banned.

David Marshall
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 03:42 am:   

So, the anti-spam software has been replaced with anti-Sam software :-)

Byron Bailey
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 01:43 pm:   

I like that the new forum has anti-SAM software. I hate it when I'm flying, minding my own business carpet bombing the threads below, and find myself blown out of the air.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 06:59 pm:   

Sniff. I just got banned, too, when I linked to a wikipedia article on the leopard seal.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   

The leopard seal takes yet another human victim. All I know is that a guy should be able to travel to Antarctic waters and gulp krill like it was caviar without having a leopard seal taking a bite out of his ass.

Marguerite Reed
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 07:33 pm:   

I got banned too. I think they're anti-Antarctic, as I was trying to post a link about Roland Huntford's The Last Place on Earth

Byron Bailey
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 08:49 pm:   

Do you ever get the imressionion that the pack ice is breaking up and you're floating out to sea with killer whales to the left of you, leopard seals to the right of you and penguins below and that it's the penguins you have to be especially fearful of because you've seen Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds and know what they can do?

Or is it just me? :-)

Marian Powell
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 03:02 pm:   

It's just you. Your fears are not real. What is real is the mountain lion crouching on the roof waiting for you to carelessly step out the front door...

David Marshall
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   

No, Marian.

The busy mountain lion of today can't wait on the roof for his dinner to be delivered.

Instead, he's on your front porch, ringing your doorbell.

GSH
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   

Several people over on the Asimov's Message Board say that they've been unable to get into the Night Shade Discussion Area today. Apparently they're getting a 404 message when they try. I've had no such problem. The relevant thread over at Asimov's is "Nightshade Discussion Board?", under "General Discussion".

Marian
Username: Marian

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 05:27 am:   

Have Analog & Asimov's forums gone missing again or is it just my computer? Perhaps we should fit those forums with microchips so we can find them when they wander off...

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 611
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 05:46 am:   

I haven't been able to find the ASIMOV'S forum today either.

Marian

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 07:20 am:   

Thanks. I guess it's here we go again as this fits the pattern. Whoever does the hacking, always does it on the weekend.

David_marshall
Username: David_marshall

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:09 am:   

Marian: "Have Analog & Asimov's forums gone missing again or is it just my computer?"

I don't know if your computer has gone missing, Marian, but the Asimov's Forum is definitely missing in action once more.

Marguerite
Username: Marguerite

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   

I thought I'd come here to see if others were having the same problem, and my hunch was correct.

Dflewis
Username: Dflewis

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   

I don't know why people don't come all the time.

Greg
Username: Greg

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 04:15 pm:   

I look in often, but active discussions have been few and far between lately. The joint needs a compelling thread. Preferably something other than "The Two Lost Forums That Were Found Have Again Been Lost".
GSH

Lukedjlaw
Username: Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   

I tried my hand, but I'm no ThomasR...

Luke
http://solipcyst.blogspot.com

Marian

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 05:52 pm:   

Right. I too have looked in but found nothing active. I did post the brain paragraph. However, I will now try to think of some more threads.

Byron_bailey
Username: Byron_bailey

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 09:02 am:   

I come here most days, lurking in the shadows, ready to pounce on my victims. However, hunting has been very poor lately without even a ball of yarn rolled across the forum floor. Kill that yarn!*

*A most unfortunate motto for one with writing aspirations.

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:18 am:   

The Night Shade boards have a very different tone from the ASIMOV'S board. Gardner did a great job of moderating the ASIMOV'S board in its early days and he fostered a lot of discussion, especially among aspiring writers. The Night Shade boards have been pretty quiet ever since registration was required before posting.

Fabrice_d
Username: Fabrice_d

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 05:13 am:   

I lurk regularly here, but as Byron Cthulhu said above, hunting has been very poor lately. Sleepy. Sleepy. On a par with the sleepiness of the overseas delivering of my US SF magazines!; I'm stuck in a spacetime anomaly centered on april '08, while reading on the boards about the may or june issues. Craving to read "Immortal Snake" to see if it's as good/bad as reported there. Waiting for Reed's "Reunion" and the next Cowdrey story!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |