Stories Not in F&SF Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Stories Not in F&SF « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marian Powell
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:35 am:   

The Man in the Mirror by Landis is a perfect Analog story. There's a problem to be solved by physics. This just may turn out to be best story of the year for Analog and here it's only Jan/Feb.
The Two Forum thread is getting too long so I decided to start one devoted to stories, esp Asimovs and Analog.

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 02:12 pm:   

Marian,

did you make up your mind for the Anlab poll?

Marian Powell
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 02:34 pm:   

Nope, not yet. I need to make up a list of my top contenders for each category and then close my eyes and throw darts at it. :-)

Marian Powell
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 08:51 am:   

The Analog Novelette category is a toughie because there are so many contendors. For my preliminary cut, I have this list I have to choose three of:
Kulkulkan
Quastiones...
Double Helix, Downward Gyre
These Are the Times
Icarus Beach
El Dorado
On The Bubble

Plus there's several more I need to review. Either I never read them or don't remember them. (Incidentally, the order is purely alphabetical by author)

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 01:23 pm:   

tough choice...

I place Quaestiones first and Icarus Beach second.
Third? not yet decided. Maybe Some Distant Shore or Double Helix or El Dorado...

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   

Well, some Distant Shore is a novella. So on the novella front, I think I will place Emerald River first, The Sands of Titan second and Some Distant Shore third.

Marian Powell
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 03:27 pm:   

Emerald River; Sands of Titan; Some Distant Shore
That fits my voting too though I'm flipping a coin for first and second place. Novellas easier as there are fewer.

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 05:36 am:   

Well, I balanced between "Emerald River.." and "The Sands of Titan". But flipping a coin is not a good solution, IMHO. So I decided to place Rajnar's story first because he is bringing a new flavor to Analog. His stories respect the Analogian guidelines, but at the same time, they are different from the usual stuff. And I think it is a good thing to read something a bit different in Analog, a new voice... Of course, "Emerald River..." won't win the Anlab poll, because the hard core of Analogian very conservative readers won't vote for it, they prefer voting for the same old same old. I, for my part, prefer voting for the other new other new. And I want to say to Stanley Schmidt that i'm very happy to read Rajnar's fiction and encourage him to keep on bringing new voices in Analog.

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 05:59 am:   

As for the short stories: Salvation, Yearning for the White Avenger, Virus Changes Skin, A Zoo in the Jungle, The Astronaut, A Higher Level of Understanding, The Face of Hate... the choice is difficult.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register