Ireland? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Ireland? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean Wills
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 08:16 am:   

Although I've been interested in science fiction and fantasy for a long time, and have aspired to being published in one field or the other for several years, it's only recently that I've started reading the swathes of short fiction that comes out every month. Not for want of trying, mind you - I just could't get my hands on them for a long time.

Why? I live in Ireland, where the big magazines don't seem to get sold very often at all. There's a Forbidden Planet in Dublin (tiny compared to the London branch, but still welcome) that very occasionally stocks an isue of Analog, and the recently opened Borders store near where I live imports a few copies of something every now and then, but for the most part you just can't find them. Anything more obscure than the 'big three', and you can forget about it completely. I've been reading reports of people in America or England buying SF&F or others on a monthly basis with envy for a while now, frustrated that few people in my own country seem interested in short fiction.

Earlier today I finished the first draft of a story that I plan on sending to F&SF, so I decided it would be prudent to have read more than one issue of the magazine (I managed to find this little morsel in a second hand bookstore about a year ago). I now have a one-year subscription, which was pretty affordable thanks to the current Dollar/Euro exchange rate. (Which is probably not great for the USA itself, but is fantastic for internet shoppers on a budget!)

So, two questions for everyone here:

1) Is there anyone else here from Ireland?

2) How many others here have had trouble finding or buying F&SF and its cousins?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register