HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Subscription agencies and ordering on...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Subscription agencies and ordering on the net « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 09:43 am:   

We just received a complaint against an online subscription agency. A subscriber shopped around online and found them offering a great rate for a three-year subscription. Problem is, we don't offer three-year subs and the company making this offer isn't authorized by us.

We do business with lots of reputable agencies like Magazines.com and University Subscription Services, but there are enough scammers out there that I thought I should post a few things that a would-be subscriber should do before subscribing to F&SF through a third party:

1) Check out the company's profile at the Better Business Bureau: http://search.bbb.org/

The company in question had 428 complaints against it in the past year and a negative BBB rating. (The company is called Magsonthenet.com and here's their rating page: http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/businessreports.aspx?pid=44&page=1&id=73029.)

2) How current does the entry look? For instance, I just searched online and found this page: http://www.supermagdeals.com/detail.jsp?affid=dealtime&id=7027

Their $27.50 offer might seem good, but note that:

- the cover image they use is from an issue that's more than four years old (and it looks like the image was probably captured from someone else's site)
- the cover price of $43.96 isn't close to our actual cover price of $50.99
- the writeup refers to us celebrating 51 years of publishing, even though we just put out our 58th anniversary issue.

And indeed, when I check my records, I see that they are not authorized by us and in fact they have never replied to two emails we sent them.

3) Check for consumer reports on the company. For instance, here's a page about Supermagdeals.com: http://www.epinions.com/pr-Online_Stores_Services-SuperMagDeals_com/display_~rev iews

If in doubt, you can always ask us---or you can just subscribe directly through our Website and not have to worry about it.

Here's a quick list of subscription agencies that we consider reputable and with whom we have done business for many years:

Magazines.com
EBSCO
MagazineLine
Swets Blackwell
University Subscription Services
The Superior Plan
W. T. Cox
QSP and QSP Canada
Demco
Reginald Fennell
Popular Subscription Service

I'm forgetting a few others, but my advice is that if you don't see your subscription agency in that list, check them out carefully before using them.

Lew
Username: Lew

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 09:46 am:   

THE COMPANY IS A SCAM.
THEY TOOK MY MONEY. PERIOD.
I lost about $80.00 and have had no end of frustration and loss of time and NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT
and of course NO MAGAZINES.
Also be warned: If you receive any mail with their name in the small print, RUN!!
If you don't believe me,
then SEE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU EXCERPT BELOW:

Consumer complaints allege that “Mags on the Net” does not deliver its magazines within 12 weeks as stated on its website. Consumers stated that after ordering subscriptions off the internet, they were given a confirmation number for their order but have yet to receive their items. After contacting the company numerous times, they were given a message to respond via email. Consumers claim that they get no results whether by phone or email from them. Consumers also stated that their credit cards were still charged for magazines which were not delivered to them. Though the company has resolved most of its complaints, it has failed to address the underlined cause for them. Consumers whom the company has not responded to would like their money back.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this business has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau, because there is a pattern of complaints, and the business has not corrected the underlying reason for the complaints.

Lew
Username: Lew

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   

Further proof that "magsonthenet.com" is a SCAM:
http://www.shopping.com/xMR-MagsOnTheNet~MRD-304689~S-1~FD-96444~kworg-~kw-~DMT- 7~VK-8002939

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 607
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 06:38 pm:   

A little belatedly, I want to say thanks to you for posting here about your experience. There are some excellent subscription agencies out there, but unfortunately there are a lot who are just looking to separate people from their money.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |