Credit where credits due Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Credit where credits due « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Smith
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 04:44 am:   

There is a country called england - far from America beyond the wide ocean.

Most well informed and intelligent americans i think know England -the land where
princess diana (the face that launched a thousand ships) sat with king arthur and personally
wrote the original magna carta - the model for the american constitution.

When I was young i used to deliver newspapers to the capital of this fair city - London.

In those days Ray Bradbury wrote for Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine. I delivered
the british edition along with the papers. the magazine shone out - a beacon of freedom
in a dark world. Winston churchill was the circulation manager.

Now London is dark again - no copies of fantasy and science fiction are on sale anywhere.

But in another part of europe the picture is brighter. In poland (which also used to be an
island but has now joined Europe) F and SF can be found on sale in the shops of Wroclaw.

Its strange because the main language here is of course Polish - whereas in london (where they
mainly speak english) there are no copies to be bought anywhere.

Now heres my point. I subscribed to F & SF here in poland but very few copies arrived.

I complained. the cirulation managaer wrote caring letters with no result. Even gordon
sent a snottogram Maybe the Polish post office was at fault. Important packages and
letters here are personally delivered by a uniformed Postman who shakes hands and smiles.
This could not be the problem.

What to do?

Then I realised! F and SF is distributed from Hobeken - home town of frank sinatra.
i watched the movies; played the musica and said my prayers. asking frank for help

Now magazines arrive on time - i already have the oct/nov copy. (Wroclaw - its my
kind of town).

Not only that the August copy of the magazine proved to have a unique and magic power to kill mosquitoes
and other insects.tap and splat. Its just easier to concentrate on the text without these small insects
buzzing round you.

Thanks frank.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Radu Eugen Romaniuc
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 10:58 am:   

Frank or not, you're still lucky.
I decided a while ago that it's useless to hope that stuff from anywhere in the world could ever get to my romanian home. Here, at the customs, they kill anything coming from outside with sharp knives. They hacked a Tom Waits cd to pieces. I can't imagine what they would do to literature.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register