Simultaneous Submissions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Simultaneous Submissions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oskar Ortiz
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:33 pm:   

I am not being elitist or egotistical, I am simply ignorant of the logic. Could someone explain to me the term simultaneous submission and the logic behind them. I realize it is different than simultaneous publication.

The way I am seeing it (and I realize only too well that my glasses may be tinted a slight shade of rose) it is like a company only considering your application if you do not send an application to anyone else.

Am I right, if so, why do that?

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:42 pm:   

If, for example, you send your story to four editors and then get four contracts, you'll be pissing off three editors. Not a good thing. Try sending your next story to those three snubbed editors again and see what happens. :-)

Also, and peripherally, editors may not want the competition to know who they're going to publish or who they're buying from, until all goes public. If you have to tell three editors who've accepted your story that you're turning them down in favor of the fourth...

I'm sure JJA or GVG could supply their own answers, of course.

Oskar Ortiz
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 06:02 pm:   

Thank you! I read that and my mind settled. It is a rather heavy burden in life to have to know the logic behind rules and laws. Good thing I never get stopped for speeding.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 06:53 pm:   

An even more important reason to avoid simultaneous submissions is that you may receive 4, 5, 200 rejections on the same manuscript on the same day. Do you have any idea what that does to a writer's psyche? And do you have any idea what that does to the space-time continuum to have so many threads converge, only to have them all unravel?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register