What percentage of FSF readers want t... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » What percentage of FSF readers want to be sf writers? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Death of the Short StoryOskar Ortiz07-30-07  08:47 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blue Tyson
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:28 am:   

Of this magazine, and the other big-name US digests, any thoughts? (This discussion came up on livejournal the other day, so seeing I have read a mag now, thought I would ask).

This would include those that are currently sf writers, as well.

Don Mead
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 05:18 am:   

This subject came up on a short story panel I was on in Chicago last year. The often repeated jest is: The only people reading short stories any more are wannabe writers. But there were people in the audience who said they read shorts for pleasure. This makes sense to me. I mean, thousands of subscribers, not all of them can be hopeful writers. My wild, unfounded guess is, mmm, maybe 4 to 8 percent are writers or hope to be writers. And I base that on the gas mileage of my neighbor’s HumVee.

Mark Lord
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:02 am:   

Gordon's estimated this at about 20% in the past - I thought it would have been more though!

Jim Steel
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 02:22 pm:   

Isn't this a bit like asking (for example) how many Nirvana fans want to be musicians?

GSH
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   

Being able to do a thing to some degree increases one's appreciation for seeing it done really well. That a high percentage of aspiring writers follow a particular publication is noteworthy. Unless it's a publication about writing, it's a pretty good indication you're likely to find above-average content.

Blue Tyson
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:54 pm:   

Thanks Mark, a ballpark estimate from the head man is as good as it gets. :-)

Jim, not really. Nirvana have sold millions of albums to all sorts of people. You don't seriously think a sizeable percentage of those buyers aspire to be professional rock and roll types, or are even in a rock band, or want to be?

Completely different orders of magnitude of interest and sales.

I was wondering from a point of view of a discussion of some small press type magazines, where it would seem to be a very large percentage of people who get it aspire to be in it, or others, etc, and to compare that to one of the 'top' publications.

Amy Sterling Casil
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   

I don't know -- I started reading the digests as a reader, then I decided maybe I could try being a writer.

Apropos of this -- I am asking for general input from the writing community "How fast do you write?" All feedback welcome:

http://asterling.typepad.com/incipit_vita_nova/2007/07/how-fast-do-you.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register