HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Which industry magazine should I read?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Which industry magazine should I read? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brad R. Torgersen
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 04:01 pm:   

As a man with a couple of low-key credits, trying to break into the professional, selling SF&F world, both in short fiction and in novels, which industry magazine, if any, should I subscribe to?

Way back when, I had a subscription to LOCUS, but if memory serves, LOCUS was so densely packed with information of all varieties, it was a bit difficult to search out the info that directly applied to me as a wanna-break-in writer.

I've also got ralan.com bookmarked, as I've found that it surpasses plunking down cash for Novel & Short Story Writer's Market every year.

But beyond ralan, is there anything else out there I should be looking at on a regular basis, or have delivered to my mail box?

Any/all suggestions, especially from pros and editors, are greatly appreciated.

=^)

Sheila Finch
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 04:06 pm:   

Gila Queen's Guide to markets, available online.

Brad R. Torgersen
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 04:21 pm:   

For the second time in as many days: thanks, Sheila!

Carole Hall
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 02:55 am:   

Duotrope's Digest at www.duotrope.com is a good one - they also send out a free newsletter.

Don Mead
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 06:37 am:   

THE BULLETIN publ'd by the SFWA has a lot of market information. You don't have to be a member to subscribe.

http://www.sfwa.org/bulletin/

Sheila Finch
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 07:27 am:   

Of course, the BULLETIN is useful! Don't see how I forgot to mention that one. Great articles about writing and the field in general. (Though I sometimes find its market info a tad late.)

When I started taking my writing seriously thirty years ago, Ursula Le Guin advised the workshop I was enrolled in to subscribe to two sources right away: LOCUS and BULLETIN and I have done ever since.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 08:16 am:   

I do think Locus is invaluable for a background on the business and people in the biz, so it's worth the subscription even if it doesn't have that much on marketing any more. Also, Locus online (free) for up to the date quickie news items.

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 08:24 am:   

Is Kent Brewster's SPECULATIONS (online) still up to date with market reports and such? I haven't visited them in ages and don't know.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |