Novel ID Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Novel ID « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 06:19 am:   

A reader asks:

I'm trying to remember the title for a novel I read in high school in the early eighties - my son was asking if I knew any good science fiction books and I can remember the story line, but sadly not the title or author(s). I have a vague recollection that it was co-authored. Anyway, the book was about this intergallactic society that travelled between worlds in the empire via tunnels from planet to planet. The main hero of the story was hired by an anonomous source to do something against the empire...that part has slipped away on me. The activation of the tunnels required that a number of the elite golden (pure blood) ruling class be present at the activation - however, the true power behind the technology seems to come from an odd older guy and his parrot like companion and they just happen to be at the right place at the right time all the time. The book comes to a head when they release prisoners from the prison planet and the leader of the rebellion forces etc.
If this rings a bell I'd love to hear who the authors were and of course the books title.

Anyone recognize this novel?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frank dreier
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   

I can't remember if every detail matches, but I'd be very surprised if this isn't Star Bridge by James E. Gunn and Jack Williamson.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register