The big subscription lottery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » The big subscription lottery « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Smith
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   

I subscribed to f and SF magazine - but most copies do not appear in my post box. I wrote and the circulation manager explained politely that all the magazines were posted correctly and that was the end of his responsibility. NO. If you offer a subscription KNOWING that many issues will not in fact be delivered this is ... (whats the word)
unacceptable! Analog magazine gets here (to Poland)
and F and SF is sold in the local shop!

David Sanders
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 03:05 pm:   

For a time, I did not receive my copies of FSF. I went to the local branch of the US Post Office that handles my mail. There, I registered a written and signed complaint, telling them that I had not received copies of FSF that I knew had been posted to me. Almost immediately I began receiving them again. My suspicion is some staff member in the Post Office was intercepting my FSF copies and reading them, and keeping them for him/herself. Doesn't matter if it a "federal crime" to do this, he/she probably rationalized that it was "just a magazine." FSF is available in local shops but someone in the PO thought they could take mine and have them for free. I am not sure how the postal service operates in Poland, but I suggest that you speak to your mail carrier and whoever is in charge at your local branch. If possible lodge a formal written complaint. Perhaps someone is taking your FSF copies and is not interested in Analog. If they know you are missing them and will protest, they might suddenly begin delivering them again to avoid trouble.

David Smith
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:10 am:   

Thanks for your comment David

Hmmn - Im in Poland (not USA). Analog arrives. All my other mail arrives.

The shop here in Wroclaw gets a copy. Why is it so difficult to arrange for ME to get a copy?

Why sell me a subscription when delivery is KNOWN to be so unreliable.

Heres the deal - I pay and F and SF get the magazine to me (not just post it and wring their hands).

How are the circulation figures doing? Really - Ive read F & SF for a long time. Please fix this problem.

David

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 06:08 am:   

International mail has been a thorn in my side for the last seven years. We've tried three different services and the only one that was better than the others went out of business. So when you say "Fix the problem," I don't know what to tell you. We send your issues to you at the correct address. If the issues are reaching you, but reaching you slowly, there isn't much we can do about that. We could probably arrange to send you issues by Air Mail, but that would cost you about $55/year instead of the $12/year we currently charge. If you want to arrange for that, please use our "Contact us" form on the Website.

You can also get the magazine in electronic format from Fictionwise.com or from eReader.com.

And you can always cancel your subscription if you're dissatisfied. If you've got a store near you that's stocking the magazine reliably, it may well make more sense for you to get your issues from the store instead of by subscription.

David Smith
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 07:32 am:   

well - maybe its time to try a fourth service!
(how many tries did edison have at getting the light bulb to work - i dont know but he didnt give up)

issues are not reaching me slowly - generally they ahev stopped arriving though im full of hope

im not gonna cancel my subscription - im gonna carry on moaning till you get this fixed

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   

If you check this thread here,

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/378/4186.html?1177404990,

you'll see two year's worth of reports from subscribers around the world concerning when they receive their issues.

All the international issues are sent the same way, at the same time. So whatever you think it is that needs to be fixed doesn't appear to be broken on our end of the shipping continuum.

David Smith
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   

Gordon - all i want is the magazine which i love and which i subscribed to. David

Curt Phillips
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   

David, it may amuse you to know that you share a problem once faced by none other than Philip K. Dick. Sometime back in the 1950's Phil noticed that *his* subscription copies of one of the SF magazines began arriving late or not at all - and when they did they invariably looked far more used and abused than postal handling should account for. Being Phil Dick, he suspected foul play and somehow developed a theory that his mail carrier was at fault. Arming himself with a camera Phil set out one day - the day that he calculated that his magazine *should* arrive - and traced his mail carrier's route backwards until he actually spotted the fellow sitting on some stairs in an alley reading the very SF magazine that later proved to be Phil's copy! Sneaking around the corner of the building, Phil caught the deeply engrossed young man in his camera lens, called out "hey, bud!", and snapped a photo of a very surprised mail carrier taking an illicit break on the job with the magazine title clearly in view. I don't recall if Phil used the photo to get the fellow fired, but he never had a problem getting his magazines on time after that. That photo, by the way, was later published in either one of the biographies of PKD or in an issue of the PKD Newsletter, and that's where I read it.

I mention this not to encourage you to stalk your local mail carrier - who for all I know may be a very big man with a very short temper - but rather to illustrate a point that Gordon and others have made: that the process of getting a particular piece of mail into your hands isn't something that the sender has complete control over. F&SF is just a customer of the Post Office the same as you or me, and we all rely on them to do their job efficiently and deliver the mail. Your situiation is far more complicated in that the US Postal Service, some unknown transatlantic carrier, and the Polish Postal Service all have a hand in getting that magazine to your door and there are an awful lot of terrible things that can happen to it along the way, the most likely being human interference there on your end. I suspect - as others evidently do - that you have a mail carrier who loves SF a little too much. If I were you I'd arrange with that local shop that carries F&SF to order an extra copy for you each month as a standing order. It won't be as fast, but should be more reliable.

And I'd also suggest that you file a complaint with your local Postmaster. But I can't imagine anything that Gordon or anyone else on the sending end could realisticly do to fix your problem. Good luck.

Curt Phillips

Blue Tyson
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:49 am:   

I think I have had that happen with local magazines, too, that were obvious in what they were, one envelope had been opened, another one was suspiciously many days late for local mail.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register