Guess what this means . . . Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Guess what this means . . . « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 09:15 am:   

It looks like the cost of mailing magazines is going up by 11%:

http://foliomag.com/viewmedia.asp?prmMID=1000918&prmID=285

Guess what this means for subscribers. (If you need a hint, note that my tone is mirthless.)

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 09:22 am:   

What does Time Warner have to do with the postal commission, Gordon? What is their influence?

Dave

PM
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 09:22 am:   

No fun.

Since this is clearly a paper delivery cost increase, I hope that the electronic edition (single issue and subscriptions) will not be hiked.

Sean Melican
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 09:35 am:   

When are you going to offer lifetime subscriptions again? That way all your loyal subscribers can avoid this problem in the future.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:49 am:   

Dave, I'm not sure what role Time Warner/Hachette has in the discussion---whether they're just seen as an industry leader or if they have a more central role.

PM, I'll have to look into it, but I don't think a hike in our subscription costs will alter the electronic subscription rates.

Sean, lifetime subs are available for $1,000.00.

If you want to see something scary, look at the first chart on this page: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-19-postal-rates_N.htm

PM
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:59 am:   

Given fuel costs, I don't mind the first class letter rate increase.

The forever stamp is a stamp I can stand behind. Just hope it doesn't bankrupt the PO :-)

Lars Thorsen
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:29 am:   

Year 2000 was the peak of volume for 1st class mail, email is the culprit I bet. Curious to see if the decline in volume continues as videomail and voicemail adds on from bandwidth increases. Interesting the PO is increasing the first ounce cost and reducing the additional oz cost. Going after UPS and FDX business? I for one love having much fewer USPS mail and doing almost everything online in terms of billings and statements, go paperless ! It makes being on the road easy.

Afterall it really is so much easier paying bills and doing correspondence by email, living here on the Moon.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register