Message for the Slush God Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Message for the Slush God « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

S. Hamm
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   

JJA,

For some reason your @#$%&!$ home site won't let me post a comment, so I'm leaving this message here. If you're planning to construct a short-story database, I'd recommend AskSam, a free-form database program that allows you to store records in as structured or as loose a format as you want. With short stories, for example, you could set up defined fields for title, author, date, source publication, etc., then type in a brief, free-flowing plot summary, with a critical evaluation, notes, etc., underneath. Down the line, if you ran a query on, say, "post-apocalyptic," the program would generate a list of every story that contained that term in the plot summary.

Several federal prosecutors have used AskSam to cross-check witness testimony & depositions. I've been using it for years now to keep track of my video library. The best thing is, it only takes about twenty minutes to learn the basics.

If you're interested, you can download a free trial version at AskSam.com.

(No relation, by the way, nor do I get a commission. I'm strictly a fan.)

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 02:39 pm:   

Hey, thanks!

Sorry the blog wouldn't let you comment. I'm not sure why -- other people seem to be having no trouble.

S. Hamm
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:40 pm:   

I enter my name, enter my email, enter my comment, hit "post," and get an error message telling me that name and email are required fields.

Yeah, I saw those other bastards who are apparently making comments at will. Man, am I jealous.

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 08:04 pm:   

I had the same problem this morning while trying to login to the Tangent website. I lowered my security settings a bit and finally got in. I'd been fiddling with some anti-virus software recently and had fouled something up (some subtle setting, no doubt) along the way, I think.

Have no idea if this will help in your case, but it's worth a shot.

Dave

PM
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   

S, are you using Internet Explorer?

If not try it and see if it works.

S. Hamm
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   

The Tangent website booting out Dave Truesdale?? That makes my blood boil.

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 04:43 am:   

S,

Jen Johnson takes care of the server software and all the technical stuff for the TO website. I told her I was using MSIE as my browser and she suggested it might have something to do with cookies. I didn't want to delete all my cookies, so I just lowered my security settings to see what would happen, and it seems to have worked.

She also suggested, if the problem wasn't fixed, that I try using Firefox as my browser.

FWIW,
Dave

PM
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 07:52 am:   

If you've turned off/down IE's security settings this will likely burn you down the road.

IE's Privacy tab allows one to add websites to an allow (or deny) list.

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 08:45 am:   

I had all of my security settings set to their highest level. I just notched them down a wee bit to solve my problem.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register