New F&SF Online Column--Alien Invasio... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF 2007 Nebula Nominees » New F&SF Online Column--Alien Invasion « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:01 am:   

FYI, the latest installment of my column at the F&SF website just went online today. This time I look at Alien Invasions in a handful of stories as lead in to a discussion of Carolyn Ives Gilman's story "Okanoggan Falls" (F&SF, Aug., 2006).

It is lengthy, quite informal in style, and I hope informative and/or thought-provoking. You will find quotes on a variety of subjects: from Damon Knight (views on several invasion stories), RAH (morality and extinction), James Gunn (critical reading tips), Ursula K. Le Guin (the generic pronoun in English), and Joanna Russ (on criticism and politics).

Basically, the column looks at invasion stories from the past (pro-military and pro-pacifist views), while asking whether Objective Reality or Moral/Ethical intent is more important.

Please note that the opening, italicized paragraph is a mistake and should be totally ignored. It was the prefacing graph for my last column, which somehow was included this time as well. A correction is in the works and it should be deleted soon by whomever sets up the column for the website.

Dave

S. Hamm
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:42 am:   

Jeez, I think you should leave the first paragraph alone. As a commentary on alien invasion it works pretty well.

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   

Heh, heh. Thanks, but no thanks. The webmaster will be deleting it as soon as he can find the time.

By the way, this sub-topic was created by me in error. I hit the wrong button. I've since created a real topic we should be commenting in.

Later,
Dave

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register