Search for info on particular Wolheim... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Search for info on particular Wolheim's Annual World's Best SF « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel P. Haeusser
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 01:11 am:   

For over two decades, my brother in law has been replacing paperbacks from his childhood book collection with hardbacks. Thanks to the Internet and the SciFi book club he has gotten everything on his list, save for one:

The 1979 Annual World's Best SF edited by Wolheim.

He has every other one in the series in hardback. The odd thing is that we have never seen the 1979 even for sale. We assume it does not exist in hardback.

I'm curious if anyone has information on this - if the 1979 hardcover exists or not - and if not, why?

It just would be nice to have an answer to the mystery.

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 05:27 am:   

Dear David,

The 1979 Wollheim SF Year's Best does indeed exist. I have an SFBC edition. Just keep searching and you'll eventually run across it. :-)

Best,
Dave

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 05:29 am:   

Pardon me. I meant to type "Dear, Daniel." It's early in the morning, I'm not fully awake yet and misread your name. Sorry about that.

Dave

Daniel P. Haeusser
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:05 am:   

Dave,

Thank you, glad to know it does exist!

Erik Olson
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   

Wow. I thought I had all of these. I too am missing 1979.

Dave Truesdale
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:05 pm:   

I must with all humility correct myself in my statement that I had an SFBC copy of the 1979 DAW Year's Best. I've just moved about six weeks ago. All my books and magazines have been in storage until a week ago. I now (with much embarrassment) see that while I do have a copy of said book, it is only the paperback DAW '79 Year's Best, and not an SFBC hardcover edition.

I therefore have no idea if there was any hc edition for that year from the SFBC.

I offer sincere apologies for my failing memory, and ask forgiveness. I really could have sworn I had said hc, and am shaking my head in disbelief that I inadvertantly led anyone astray.

Dave

Daniel P. Haeusser
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 09:06 am:   

Hmmm, well that's okay. We still haven't found any around, so the mystery continues.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register