Creative Commons Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Creative Commons « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Pasley
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   

Hi. Being a big fan of Cory Doctorow and the spirit with which the Creative Commons license was developed, I decided to try my hand making some stories available online under a Creative Commons license. A little experiment for myself, I guess.

I realize that stories that have touched the eyes of the public, no matter how few people actually saw them, may be regarded as "previously published," and as such are not viable submissions for F&SF. So in that sense I'll have to weigh whether having open distribution of stories is really worth the sacrifice of not getting them published in a professional venue. That makes sense to me.

What I'm really asking here is what F&SF's stand on works produced under a Creative Commons license is. I'm afraid I'm not clear on the finer aspects of copyright law as it applies to this situation: would the CC license interfere with the selling of First North American Serial Rights to F&SF, whether by nature of the two systems or by the policy of the magazine?

Thanks,

Chris Pasley

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 06:34 am:   

We publish reprints occasionally. If you want us to consider a story that you've previously published online, make sure to indicate in your cover letter where and when it appeared previously.

Chris Pasley
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:13 am:   

Thanks, Gordon. I will.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register