F&SF on European Newsstands? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF on European Newsstands? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yoshinori Todo
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   

Hi everybody, I'm new to this message board.

I used to submit my -- admittedly juvenile -- short stories to this magazine until a few years back, and I always appreciated GVG's incredibly fast response time and the fact that the rejections were always personalized and somewhat detailed. I was, like, 16 when I first started submitting, and to a young writer that little personal touch was mighty encouraging (and, in some ways, awe-inspiring). So thanks a lot. I'm 25 now and thinking of starting to submit to F&SF again . . . my writing has much improved, so watch out! :-)

My questions now is: I live in Austria, and I remember F&SF used to be available on newsstands here until 6 or 7 years ago. However, they're not anymore. Does anyone know why that is? I'm thinking not enough copies were sold, but is there any chance you could persuade the distributors -- or whatever people are responsible -- to put them on Austrian/German newsstands again? That'd be great! I _would_ get a subscription, but I think for European residents that comes even more expensive than buying each issue at the local kiosk! Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. What a _great_ MB! I spent the past few days going through various threads, and I'm starting to think half the editors of SF, F, or H magazines are assembled here. It's a little like being at a convention, isn't it? LOL.

Wolfgang Trubshaw
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 01:45 pm:   

Hello, I'm Austrian as well.

I looked it up in my collection, and found out that the last copy I bought at the newsstand was March 2002 cover date.

It still has the Morawa (newsstand distributor) price tag on the cover for an insane 6.10 Euros!
The US dollar price on the cover back then was 3.50.

There you have your reason why I for one (and probably a whole lot of other people) just wouldn't buy it at the newsstands anymore.

I got me a 2-year subscription now for 80 dollars including p&p to Austria.
Considering that sum is for 22 issues, we're at an average price of 3.65 dollars per issue.

Assuming an average US$-EUR rate of 1.30 we arrive at as little as 2.80 Euros an issue.

Again, this is including the postage to Austria!

Morawa charged 6.10 Euros already five years ago, I don't want to know what they would charge these days ...

Just get yourself a subscription!

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 06:32 am:   

We changed our international distributor in 2001 so that's probably why you can't find copies in the newsstand where you used to buy them.

An international subscription costs an extra $12/year to cover the cost of international mail. Unfortunately, the mailing service you get for that $12.00 is unpredictable.

If you read fiction in electronic format, you can subscribe via Fictionwise or eReader. There are links to both on the home page of our Website.

Incidentally, one of our subscribers in Poland says he finds it easier to find F&SF in Poland than it was in England when he lived there. I've been running this magazine for more than six years now and distribution is still a mystery to me.

Yoshinori Todo
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 09:08 am:   

So either a make a trip to Poland every month or get a subscription? I think I'll opt for the latter. :-D

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 04:20 am:   

Given the continued slide of the US dollar since 5 years, seems to me it would be a good time to launch an international subscription campaign. Subscribing to F&SF is becoming less and less expensive each year. A one-year sub costs 45 US$, ie 30 euros, a 2-years sub costs 79 US$, ie 53 euros or 26,5 euros per year. Same thing with GB£. Best bargain in the world! The price of 3 paperbacks for a whole year of goodies.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register