Would anyone like fantasy poetry? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Would anyone like fantasy poetry? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan Taylor
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   

As in poetry that tells a story in a fantasy realm about demi-god heroes with similarly, or superiorly powerful villains?

I'm trying to blend the styles of the modern fantasy and the classical epic (like what Homer/Ovid/Virgil wrote), and convey the story in poetry.

And Mr. Gelder, if you are reading this, what do you think a skilled poet's chances of getting such a story-poem serialized in F&SF would be? Would F&SF be interested at all, or uninterested completely?

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 06:37 am:   

We publish poetry in F&SF occasionally, but mostly short verse. An epic poem submitted to us would have to be better than all the other heroic fantasy stories we receive in order for me to take it on.

Kimberly Bedell Casey
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 06:38 pm:   

If you'd like an example of this kind of thing, try AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF RED, by Anne Carson.

From the back cover:
"The award-winning poet Anne Carson reinvents a genre in AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF RED, a stunning work that is both a novel and a poem, both an unconventional re-creation of an ancient Greek myth and a wholly original coming-of-age story set in the present."

It's fascinating, but some parts of it are scholarly. It's considered to have "literary merit," and is not usually found with other works of fantasy. Look in the snootiest fiction section of your bookstore or library. It may also be in the poetry section instead.

Jonathan, I just noticed that you are the same person who started the thread about using the "thou" pronouns in fiction. Apparently we have similar interests. Anyway, I am much less opposed to their use in a poetic format, if that's relevant.

--Kimberly

Jonathan Taylor
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   

Ah cool, thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register