three story IDs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » three story IDs « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:21 am:   

Queries from three subscribers. Anyone recognize 'em? (The stories, that is, not the subscribers.)

1) I am trying to find a piece of fiction I read from a magazine purchased in England in 1963. I believe it might have been in the UK version of your mag. The only thing I can remember about it: protagonist, male, stuck on a chain gang seeping the sands for some type of vegetation; and it was the first installment of a serial. This was probably a July or August edition. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2) I'm trying to locate a science fiction short story published in the late 1970's in Playboy magazine. Main premise of story was a society with currency based on time and not other exchange medium. Individuals were given a certain amount of time when they were born and if they invested it well, then they had a long life. If not, well...made for an interesting story. Sorry but I can't recall the title, author, or exact date of publication. Hope you can help.
DR

3) Because of your website I wish to ask you if you've heard of this book. I read a short story in a book a few years ago. It was called (I think) The blue (maybe green) glass bottle. It was about two men searching ruins in a postapocalyptic earth, looking for the blue/green glass bottle the gave you your deepest wish. They find it but its stolen from them by bandits. They give chase and find the men dead all line up in a row with the bottle beside them. The one man grabs it and runs. He opens it for his deepest desire and inhales death, and so is incinerated to ash. The author claims that all humankind wishes to die. The 2nd man finds the empty jeep and the bottle and opens the bottle to find whiskey, because ate his core he is an animal wanting only to eat, drink, and procreate.
Could you tell me the real title and the author?

Steve Forstner
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 01:49 pm:   

The first one sounds like one of Harry Harrison's, but I don't know if it was ever serialized. It was part of a series of books collected into a volume called 'Deathworld'.

A man crash lands on an alien planet, is captured and forced to walk the sands hunting for what appears to be onions. Eventually he kills the overseer and takes the man's place. Then he begins working his way through the society until he is able to contact his people and secure his return.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 02:13 pm:   

That was fast---thanks for posting.

For some reason, I got locked out of the board before. I meant to ask if anyone knows if story #3 is Davis Grubb's "The Blue Glass Bottle."

S. Hamm
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 05:09 pm:   

#3 is not the Grubb, which happens to be online.

Rande G. Jacobson
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   

The Blue Bottle by Ray Bradbury. In the collection Long After Midnight.

Rande...

S. Hamm
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 05:20 pm:   

There is, however, a story by John Maclay entitled "The Green Glass Bottle" in Weirdbook #28 (Autumn, 1993).

S. Hamm
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 05:28 pm:   

Yup, it's the Bradbury, which takes place on dead Mars. Disregard previous message.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 06:04 pm:   

The second sounds really familiar.

See if any of the titles here:
http://www.hycyber.com/MYST/playboy_index.html

sound familiar.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 08:45 pm:   

A fourth story id:
=========================
I'm trying to remember the title of a Gene Wolfe short story I read a few
years ago, and if anyone can identify this story, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It was about a dog that could cross into alternate realities while playing
fetch and instead of retrieving the stick originally thrown, would bring
back all sorts of oddball things from other dimensions.

Does anyone know this story? I'm pretty sure it was a Gene Wolfe story and
I thought I read it in Magazine of F & SF in '03 or '04 but when I checked
the mags back issues online, they don't list all of them for those years and
the ones they do list don't have any Gene Wolfe stories.
=========================
I'm pretty sure it's not a story we ran in that period (I don't remember "Waif," "Under Hill," "Gunner's Mate," or "Hunter Lake" fitting that description) but maybe it's an older one?

Matthew Ilseman
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:23 am:   

It's Calamity Warps and it is collected in Starwater Strains. Interestingly enough, Wolfe really did have dog named Calamity Jane. Though presumbly it couldn't cross dimensions.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   

'Calamity Warps' was first published in "Realms of Fantasy". Gene Wolfe notes in a brief introduction to the story that his wife's dog, Calamity Jane, was one unnerving animal.

Lars Thorsen
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:58 am:   

On story #1, I remember a story of a man who goes to a planet, carrying quite a number of weapons as it's a very dangerous place, he's on some kind of mercenary type mission but customs/immigration takes them all away. Corporations have logos, one is 'sledge'. He is then somehow sold as a slave and his keeper locks him in a small confine when not working. It snows a lot? Anyway he manages to escape and makes his way back to the city, where he hooks up with a woman who has influence. He later sets-her-up in order to make his escape and leaves her holding 'the bag', but he's confident she can wiggle her way out of the situation, as that is her forte in life! ; and like Steve Forstner said contacts his home world and leaves. It might have been an early James Retleif (Retief ?) character by Harrison? (I have to stop posting, how will any work get done? LOL)

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   

Retief was by Keith Laumer. Harry Harrison wrote the "Stainless Steel Rat" novels.

Not that I can identify the story you describe.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 07:09 pm:   

Here's another story in search of identification:

About ten years ago, I read a story in F&SF that involved a geneticist or something who had created intelligent dogs, and he had been ordered to eliminate them. I have no idea who the author was, or any details about the story. It wasn't funny, rather more sad and melancholy. The guy located the intelligent dogs out the the woods somewhere, but he let them go rather than kill them.

It's not one of Scott Bradfield's "Dazzle" stories. Any ideas? All I can think of is Kirsten Bakis's novel LIVES OF THE MONSTER DOGS.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register