HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

September 2006 issue -- contents

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » September 2006 issue -- contents « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:55 am:   

THE MAGAZINE OF
FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION
September • 57th Year of Publication

NOVELETS
The Song of Kido -43- Matthew Corradi

SHORT STORIES
Prologue to the Endeavor: Luck Be a Lady Tonight -4- Harlan Ellison®
Señora Suerte -7- Tananarive Due
The Return of the O'Farrissey -17- John Morressy
Poor Guy -69- Michael Kandel
Perfect Stranger -120- Amy Sterling Casil
If You've Ever Been a Lady -141- Michael Libling

NONFICTION
Dear Starbear: Letters Between Ursula K. Le Guin and James Tiptree Jr. -77- Julie Phillips

DEPARTMENTS
Books to Look For -34- Charles de Lint
Musing on Books -38- Michelle West
Plumage from Pegasus: The Goth Squad -116- Paul Di Filippo
Films: Funky, Funky Moscow -135- Lucius Shepard
Coming Attractions -160-
Curiosities -162- F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre

CARTOONS: Joseph Farris (16, 68), Arthur Masear (33, 76), Bill Long (115), John Leavitt (119).
COVER BY KENT BASH FOR "IF YOU'VE EVER BEEN A LADY"

David H. Durgee
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:10 am:   

When should I expect to receive this issue in the mail?

Christopher Rowe
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 07:39 am:   

I think the August issues are just now hitting, David. I got my August subscription issue a couple of days ago.

David H. Durgee
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 07:57 am:   

I just finished reading my August issue. I am wondering about the timing as I renewed my subscription on 20 April via an internet subscription site and the label on my August issue still indicates it as expiring. I emailed the vendor and they indicate things should be fine, but I wanted to know when to watch my mailbox for verification of this. If my September issue fails to show up on time I will be getting back to them looking for blood!

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 04:20 am:   

The September issue is being processed and mailed this week. Once we mail it, we have no control over how long the USPS takes to deliver it around the country. Subscription copies usually seem to arrive during the last week of the month, but it's not uncommon for them to arrive in the first or second week of the following month.

I checked our system, Mr. Durgee, and your sub renewal has been processed, so your Sept. 2006 issue should arrive around the same time as everyone else's.

David H. Durgee
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 01:09 pm:   

Thanks for the verification on the subscription, I can now rest easier that I won't miss any issues.

Roger Silverstein
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 06:01 pm:   

Are the Tiptree/LeGuin letters in the Sept 06 F&SF excerpted from the Tiptree biography, or separate material?
Roger

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 07:49 pm:   

Many of the letters in the Sept F&SF are described or mentioned in the biography, but only a couple of them are quoted at length. In other words, it's mostly separate material.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 09:03 pm:   

Tangent Online review:

http://www.tangentonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=808&Itemi d=259

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 07:45 am:   

The subscription copies of the Sept. issue that we sent to ourselves arrived today in the ol' Hoboken post office box.

David H. Durgee
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 01:59 pm:   

I received my September, 2006 issue yesterday. I was pleased to find that the mailing label was on the back cover as opposed to the front. Is this a fluke, or a change in mailing procedures? Now if only the scan code could be moved.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 09:32 am:   

When the back cover of an issue is an ad for F&SF, we put the labels on the back cover. When the ad is paid for by someone else, we put the labels on the front cover.

John William Thiel
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   

The cover is effective, but does not appear to be a fantasy cover--but on looking it over, it has strong elements of fantasy and science fiction both. However, it might be a contest for the reader to identify what these elements are.

The idea to this idea issue seems to me to be wanton promotion, which occurs in science fiction from time to time--Ray Palmer's publicity stunts, Horace Gold's innovations, special issue ideas from Howard Browne--and Harlan Ellison seems bold and brash enough to put the thing across. Sometimes the reader admires boldness and brashness, and I believe this will be one of the times--but it's a wager. His prologue reads more like an editorial than a short story, though. Maybe I didn't read it carefully enough, being intent on the aspect it had that he had said all his quoted remarks to Mr. Van Gelder, but it seems to me his end result was only one story idea, not the two he'd mentioned. Apparently he was getting no help from Roscoe. Am I reading this right? He says, and insists on it, that he wants no stories by amateurs based on his outlined idea!? Where's he going to get "I was born with luck as a twin. Do you know what a twin brother can be like? I have my luck on my knee. It's bad luck but I'm a bad loser. Bad means good. It was my luck to see this..."

Referring back to the cover, I think it was nice of the cover artist not to follow the old, tired stereotype of portraying Lady Luck as a whore.

I had been seeing John Morrissey as a young man because he was young as a writer, that is, his stories didn't go back that far. Therefore I was thinking, "What, they're gone so young?" and "He'd only just begun in his life, and had so much to accomplish!" Now I find he was 75. When I get to be Morrissey's age, I'll die too.

Well, now to immerse myself in the Tiptree-LeGuin correspondence.

Katrien Rutten
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 03:51 am:   

The Tiptree-Le Guin letters were wonderful. I picked the issue up without noticing that they were in there, and it was such a happy surprise! And now that I know they're not all in the biography, I will treasure them even more.

I remember how Le Guin mentioned (possibly in Language of the Night?) that octopus-on-a-postcard she got from Tiptree, and how happy it made her.

I liked Amy Sterling Casil's "Perfect Stranger", but it felt a bit thin to me - I would have liked the main character to grow a little, to take some of the things that were done to his son on his own shoulders instead of blaming them all on his wife, and I wished the ending were stronger. (Plus, this is a stupid tiny niggle, but how can you think to stab someone with a knife you use to cut bread? Those are usually long, serrated, with rounded points - good for cutting and sawing, not for stabbing into the heart.)

Ellison's bombastic 'me-me-me' introduction turned me off so much that I skipped the three Lady Luck stories. Unfair, I know, and I plan to get back to them later.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 02:17 pm:   

The results of the F&SF 8/06: Favorite Story Poll are as follows:

Penultima Thule - Chris Willrich 20% 5
Okanoggan Falls - Carolyn Ives Gillman 32% 8
Another Word for Map Is Faith - Christopher Rowe 20% 5
Pleased To Meetcha - Ken Altabef 4% 1
Immortal Forms - Albert E. Cowdrey 4% 1
Jack B. Goode and theNeo-Modern Prometheus - Robert Loy 0% 0
Misjudgment Day - Robert Reed 0% 0
Billy and the Spacemen - Terry Bisson 8% 2
Plumage from Pegasus: Changing Teams - Paul Di Filippo 0% 0
I was not overly impressed with any of them. 12% 3

Congrats to the winner, Carolyn Ives Gillman!

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   

Er, guess that's in the wrong topic. Oh well.

Vote in the F&SF Sept. 2006 Favorite Story poll here:
http://www.tuginternet.com/jja/journal/archives/004439.html

Elizabeth Thomas
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 03:32 pm:   

I haven't read the September issue yet, but I read the Tiptree biography, and it's great. People should definitely check it out. I look forward to reading more Le Guin/Tiptree correspondence.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 07:40 am:   

Have any subscribers in Australia or New Zealand received this issue yet?

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 07:39 am:   

Review from BestSF:

http://www.bestsf.net/reviews/fsf0609.html

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 08:19 am:   

Martin Graetz sent along these comments and okayed my posting them online. I believe referring to F&SF as "William" started at MIT:

I've been accumulating thoughts about the contents of my favorite literary William since, oh, about last August, when the Harlan issue arrived. From the self-important "copyright" bug on his name (What's he going to do, sue anyone in the world named Harlan Ellison?) to the story gimmick, it's clearly Harlan being Harlan again. Seems to me he's pulled this "gosh, guys, this one's too tough for me!" stunt before. Like the November '49 Astounding, it was fun once; a second time not so much. The stories themselves weren't so bad, given that they were written to someone else's template, but the best thing in the issue was the one I expected the least from: the LeGuin-Tiptree letters. Revealing and deeply affecting at the same time.

In the double issue, it was your editorial comments, coupled with the presence---always welcome---of a Carol Emshwiller story, that prompted reflection; I'll get to that in a minute. The next few issues (thru March; I only just got the April one) illustrate a new criterion of mine: any issue with a Matthew Hughes story is by definition a good one. I hope the winding up of the Guth Bandar saga doesn't imply abandonment of the nöosphere. On the other hand, you sort of want to know what he's going to come up with next...

Back to that editorial. It was your 12th point (The Work Remains) that struck home. For some time now I've been thinking about a significant anniversary coming up in June of this year, but with considerably mixed feelings. The first Milford SF Writers' Conference was held fifty years ago. In normal times, this would be cause for a celebratory reunion, but in this case it would only be a melancholy---and rather small---gathering. I was at that first meeting (Damon Knight, with whom I had been exchanging a fannish sort of correspondence, had this weird idea that I might become a writer---that is, of fiction, or what Ted Cogswell called real writing).

But the photos Ed Emshwiller took that week are sobering: only a few of the people in them are still alive: Harlan, Bob Silverberg, Katie MacLean, Ayjay, Arthur C Clarke, and of course, Carol Emshwiller. Most of the rest, including all the principals and the photographer himself, have left us. One particularly affecting picture shows (listening intently to an unseen speaker) Ted Cogswell, James Blish, Damon Knight, Tony Boucher, and Judy Merril. In others are Fritz Leiber, Cyril Kornbluth, Ted Sturgeon, Lester (and Evelyn) del Rey, along with Randall Garrett, Phil Klass, and L Sprague de Camp.

But the work indeed remains.

---martin graetz

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 08:23 am:   

And a few notes from me:

Harlan being Harlan is usually a welcome thing. There's a documentary about him in the works.

Matt Hughes has a new Henghis Hapthorn story coming soon---I think it's in the June 2007 issue. It's the bonus story that was included with the limited edition copies of MAJESTRUM.

Phil Klass is alive and (as far as I know) well and living in Pittsburgh, PA. I was interviewed last summer for some sort of documentary about him.

PM
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 08:37 am:   

Any plans in the immediate future for printing additional correspondence?

Philips ought to release a volume of Tiptree letters.

Emshwiller should get a special issue...

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 09:22 am:   

Julie Phillips agrees that there should be a volume collecting letters by Tiptree, but thus far no publisher has agreed.

John_thiel
Username: John_thiel

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 08:09 am:   

A Marvel topic with the staying power of roll-on Zen.
I've got biff and zow

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |