Subscribing to F&SF question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Subscription Questions » Subscribing to F&SF question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Danny Semmel
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 02:52 pm:   

Hello. I have a question as to when subscriptions start? My friend Michaela had a story published in the January issue, but I'm a very scatterbrained guy and by the time I went down to the newstand to pick it up last week, you were already on the February issue. And so now there's the first half of a two-parter I need to read PLUS the story I want.

Well, I accept most of the blame here because I allowed my subscription to lapse some years back and then I have been atrocious about remembering to go to Borders to get new issues. So, I'm thinking the thing to do here is to start a new subscription. Though I've lost all my PayPal details (being absentminded and all) and so I'm not quite sure what to do here.

(Well, having read many posts here, I've decided the thing NOT to do here is discuss writing, self-publishing, reasons for rejection letters, and why some people seeking the fame of a byline post their flames anonymously.)

What I'd like to do is send in $59.97 for whatever that gets me, which breaks down to $54.97 for the new issues plus $5.00 for the January '06 issue. Though it depends what the starting issue would be... if you could make it January, that would be aces. If it's probably going to be like the April or May issue, let me know that as well. No point in my buying duplicate newstand issues if I'm going to be saving 25% off the cover, though I wouldn't mind duplicating February if it came down to that.

-- Danny

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:56 pm:   

Danny---

We'll contact you by email to sort this out. But the basic answer to your question is that subscriptions start with the next issue to ship. Any subs we receive from today until next Tuesday will start with the March 06 issue.

Vincent Omniaveritas
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 08:14 pm:   

Danny said, "Well, having read many posts here, I've decided the thing NOT to do here is discuss writing, self-publishing, reasons for rejection letters, and why some people seeking the fame of a byline post their flames anonymously."

On writing: Write stories that don't suck.

On self-publishing: Self-published stories by definition suck.

Reasons for rejection: The story sucks.

Why some people seeking the fame of a byline post their flames anonymously: Either 1) Their stories suck or 2) See: Bruce Sterling, circa 1980s.

Danny Semmel
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 02:45 pm:   

Thank you for the prompt response!

Ok, well first things first. Since the deadline is next Tuesday, I went ahead and subscribed online today using the website, so this way I can start with the March issue.

-- Danny

Danny Semmel
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 03:01 pm:   

I see that many budding writers here have all commented on the prompt turn-around time of getting acceptance and rejection letters. To that, let me just add that GVG was as good as his word, and the magazine's Circulation Manager promptly got in touch with me to sort everything out.

For anyone thinking of subscribing (and frankly if you're on these boards you're a regular reader anyway) then let me just say that they truly make it as smooth and painless a procedure as possible.

And frankly, considering that I'm saving 42%-- over $40.00-- over the course of a year or two is nothing to sneeze at, either.

E Thomas
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 08:40 pm:   

Yay for subscribers. Join the club!

*high fives*

Danny Semmel
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   

Yay! I got my first issue! On Friday the 13th, no less. Talk about timely service!

Thank you everyone!
-- Danny

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register