Back cover of the February issue Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Cover Art » Back cover of the February issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick M.
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:04 pm:   

I guess I find it surprising to see a POD novel advertised on the back cover. I'd be curious to know the return on that. Of course, I don't really know the cost of it either so it might not be that much of a barrier.

Anyway, if the author stops by here, I'd be interested in understanding how well it is going.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:31 pm:   

It's hard to say, I'd imagine, unless the sales all occur in a short period, which can be tracked.

Which book is it?

Patrick M.
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:58 pm:   

Don't you have your February issue handy?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1413474225/qid=1135824865/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002 -1025343-3191201?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Liz
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 06:41 am:   

Amazon.com Sales Rank:
Today:None
Yesterday:None

Hmmm...

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 06:58 am:   

It's an Xlibris novel, printed using POD technology. Because it's Xlibris, it's vanity press, not because it was printed using POD technology.

I wish people would stop using "POD" as a synonym for "vanity publishing". It's ignorant.

JeffV

Patrick M.
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 08:18 am:   

I was being polite.

Alexander
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 09:00 am:   

JV,

I don't exactly know the difference between Published on Demand and Vanity Press, so to avoid remaining ignorant any longer would you explain it?

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:20 am:   

POD = method of short-run printing used by legitimate publishers and vanity presses alike. an alternative to offset printing lots of copies all at once.

Vanity Presses = companies that will print your book if you give them money. Some of them use POD technology.

JeffV

Alexander
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 08:47 pm:   

I think I'd prefere the regular version of printing in any case, because with POD it would be unlikely to have that limited editon first printed series thing that is usually boasted for old books who've lost their commrades, yet are being reprinted.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 02:56 am:   

I haven't seen the February issue on the newstands lately (I stopped subscribing about two years ago), so no I couldn't tell you what's on the backcover.

In any case, between the fact that it's a way-overpriced hardcover and that it's xlibris, that should mean that it won't sell hardly anything. The return on investment (roi) on his advertisement would equate out rather badly. The money would have been better spent on review copies.

L'e'e
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 08:15 am:   

As a brief aside, I really hate it when they say "click for larger image" and ypu get a small image instead. Not that the cover was really worth enlarging in this case.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register