Apex Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » General Magazines Discussion » Apex « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alexander
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   

Well I went book shopping today at my local bookstore, and when looking at their broad selection of magazines found Asimov's and...what? Apex? It was an interesting mag, but overall it's no FSF and it seems to have replaced fantasy and science fiction at my bookstore. You might want to check out the competition at their website - http://www.apexdigest.com/

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:46 am:   

Thanks for your note, Alexander. Apex is interesting, but you might want to ask your bookstore if they can stock both us and them. (If nothing else, you can point out that we publish monthly and Apex is . . . quarterly? I'm not sure, but I think that if they stock us, they'll have more product to sell each month.)

Just out of curiosity, are you in Kentucky?

Jason Sizemore
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   

Heh, I would consider that unusual. Apex is dark science fiction and horror. We've published a total two fantasy stories in the first four issues, so it would make more sense if we replaced Asimov's and not F&SF.

And the day that Apex is true 'competition' to F&SF and Gordon is that day that I know Apex has made it.

I like Gordon's suggestion. Ask if they can stock all three of us!

Jason Sizemore
managing editor/publisher
Apex

JJA
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:04 pm:   

What's the "local bookstore"? Is it a chain, or a privately owned store?

Alexander
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:04 pm:   

Gordon,

I'm not sure as to how often Apex is published or even if the bookstore (Barnes & Nobles) has replaced F&SF with it. All I know is that when I went to the magazine section there was Asimov's, and there was Apex somewhat hidden behind Asimovs, but no F&SF. If they do intend to stop carrying F&SF I'll talk to them though.

Jason Sizemore,

I'm glad that you decided to come here. I didn't get all the way through your magazine, mainly due to the limited time I had, but I did find your Essay at the end rather interesting.

As for you being F&SF's competition though, I can't say. I haven't read enough of you, but I will point out that for some reason I've been noticing at some of the other stores in my area that they are selling more books that look self published.

JJA,

The bookstore is as stated above - Barnes & Nobles.

Patrick M.
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   

It could be that they simply already sold all of the F&SF. Just a thought.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:36 pm:   

Our distribution at Barnes & Noble is spotty. It's worth asking your local store if they stock F&SF.

Jason Sizemore
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 06:37 am:   

Alexander, do you mean 'small press' or you labeling Apex as a vanity project because that would be a misnomer. The magazine only features fiction from other writers, and the only contribution I have is a single interview.

Also, we're carried by all major distributors and are a national magazine that can be found in B&N, Books A Million, Borders, Canada, and the bathroom at my house.

And finally, Apex is printed by a dedicated print company, not a POD like Lulu.

Sorry if I sound defensive. Don't mean to be, just wanted to get the facts straight. :-)

Hope you get time to read through Apex a little further, Alexander. As GVG said, we've got some interesting stuff going on.

Alexander
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

Jason,

I didn't mean to offend you. I wasn't saying that Apex is a vanity press, or even saying self published works are bad, just that some major chains have started to carry less renowned works. I don't know how well your magazine circulates or the exact sales numbers - heck, I don't know F&SF's. I just know that I haven't heard of you before. That's all.

Gordon,

Next time I go there I'll be sure to ask as a "concerned reader and citizen." :-)

Sean Wallace
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 02:58 am:   

The sales breakdown for F&SF are available through the summary issues of Locus, if you're really interested, along with many other magazines.

Marguerite
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 08:13 pm:   

I picked up a copy of Apex myself. Interesting, although I'm not a big horror fan.

Jason Sizemore
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:43 am:   

Glad you tried it out. As publisher, that's all I can ask of the readers. :-)

I've been told by the more horror-side of Apex fans that issue four is too light on horror, so issue five will be 'darker'.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register