Name of a unique 1970's Science Ficti... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Identifying Old Stories » Name of a unique 1970's Science Fiction Movie please... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rikar
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   

Dear Readers,

I've been trying to recall the name of a science fiction movie that was made in the 1970's. The one actor I believe I remember was Michael Caine and also (I think) Cliff Robertson.

The plot revolved around a Russian scientist that defected to the United States and built a humanoid robot. The robot was played by Cliff Robertson. The scientist soon disappeared. and the robot went active and escaped. This machine wasn't sure who or what it was or what its purpose was, but it remained running from the US Government in it's attempt to understand its programming and mission.

The robot was walking through a park where children were playing and saw a model of Noah's Ark and this activated some internal programming which alerted it to the fact that it needed to get to Mount Ararat. It eventually found it's way there and entered a secret highly advanced underground facility not built by mankind. In this place it was able to be fully programmed and understand it's mission/role in world affairs.

Inside the cavern were a multitude of old worn-out robots that had served before him. Each was laid upon a table in a long row. They were all famous historical figures that had been placed on earth to guide mankind along throughout our history. This latest robot (played by I think Cliff Roberts) was to be the very last in a long line of helpers. In the end of the movie Michael Caine (who played the agent chasing down and trying to capture this robot) asked Cliff Roberts why there was only one empty table left in the cavern. Cliff Roberts (the Robot) replied if mankind should survive the coming generation under his secret guidance then they would need no more. In essence, he was the last.

Anyway, that is all I can remember. Can you help me to discover what this movie was and if it is available on DVD?

Thanks,

Rikar

S. Hamm
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 04:18 pm:   

The plot you're describing is that of The Questor Tapes, a busted Gene Roddenberry pilot that aired on NBC-TV in 1974. However, the cast did not include either Michael Caine or Cliff Robertson; the stars were Robert Foxworth (as the android), Mike Farrell, John Vernon, and Dana Wynter.

Maybe you've gotten it confused with the theatrical feature version of Algis Budrys's Who? (also 1974), which starred Elliott Gould and Trevor Howard. They're a little closer to Robertson and Caine.

Liz
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   

The only movie Michael Caine and Cliff Robertson have been in together is Too Late the Hero in 1970. No robots, though.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register