Shadow Man Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Authors » Shadow Man « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mellowcalico
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 05:23 am:   

I posted this on Asimov's when it was pointed out to me that the logical place to post this was here (I feel kind of silly now--but I feel that way 80 percent of the time anyway. So what else is new).

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed the short story "Shadow Man" (which appeared in the January edition). I usually don't like serial killer or cop stories, but I really did enjoy this one. I can't explain exactly what is was that I liked about it, but it was kind of like a cup of spiked hot cocoa after being out in the cold for a long time. I must have read it in less than five minutes (and then had to go back and read it again).

Matt Hughes
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:35 am:   

Thank you.

Matt Hughes
Black Brillion now in paperback
The Gist Hunter & Other Stories now in stores

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 01:57 pm:   

It was pretty creepy, for sure. Tired of light-hearted fare in the noosphere?

Matt Hughes
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 03:27 pm:   

Well, I did start out to be a crime writer, but somehow I wandered into sf and became distracted.

Actually, I've just sent Gordon the last episode in Guth Bandar's story, reprising the action in Black Brillion from Guth's pov. It gets quite serious toward the end. No guarantee Gordon will buy it, though; it's a pretty long novella and would probably have to be spread over two issues.

As for Shadow Man, for me the point of the story is that no matter how creepy some people can be, there always seem to be a few ghouls who want to watch over their shoulders. If we ever do come up with time-travel tourism, there'll be a market for trips to watch Jack the Ripper and Vlad the Impaler do their things.

Matt Hughes

mellowcalico
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 04:13 pm:   

You know, I was actually more creeped out by the "fan" in the story more than Damion. I also found myslef worryed about the girl with the cat-like eyes. I guess that's another reason I enojoyed it--the story generated empathy even though I hardly knew the character in question.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 05:00 pm:   

Well, good. That was part of what I was trying to do. It's interesting what you can achieve with the most minimal approach to creating character and situation. Of course, it takes the cooperation of a reader equipped with that old willing suspension of disbelief.

Matt Hughes

Michael Samerdyke
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 07:05 am:   

I too liked "Shadow Man."

In a way, with its theme of future people encountering contemporary/historic crime, it reminded me of the Robert Bloch stories "A Toy for Juliette" and "A Most Unusual Murder," but its plot was different.

Gregory Bernard Banks
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   

As a fan of short form or "flash" fiction (and I'm not sure if this story is short enough to qualify for that designation) but for a fairly short piece, it was indeed very well written. And I too enjoyed how you managed to generate empathy for Damion, despite the murderous nature lurking beneath the surface.

Rande G. Jacobson
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:24 pm:   

I also liked it. Had a lady friend at work read it. When I saw her after lunch and asked her about it she gave a shudder and said I'm strange. lolol

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register