John Joseph Adams interviewed on LitH... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Authors » John Joseph Adams interviewed on LitHaven « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Simon Owens
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 09:18 pm:   

John Joseph Adams has been interviewed over at LitHaven

Bob Urell
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 04:40 am:   

I quite liked that.
Though, JJA, I'll have to disagree with you on one small point, which would be when you mark reviewing audiobooks as harder than plain old regular books because you can't flip back through to find passages and reinforce your memory. I've done a review or two for IROSF, and I plan on doing many more, eventually applying with PW when I feel I've got enough material to work with. I don't look back through the book, and in fact I wait at least a week after finishing the book before reviewing it. I want to address the stuff that sticks in my head, which I feel is the best the author could have to offer. Flipping back through would sort of mitigate that, and though I've done so, once or twice, when a character's name is spelled oddly or a placename escapes me, I never do on plot-points. That would feel like cheating, I think.
And I must say, what a cool gig reviewing is! Someone pays you to read a free book. It's like something out of my weird [non-sexual] teenage fantasies....

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   

Hi Bob --

Generally, I approach reviews the same way (though I usually wait to the last minute to write them before they're due, so how long a break there is between finishing the book and writing the review depends on that). My point was that sometimes there's just things I'd like to go back and check to make sure I've got it right. For instance, I was writing a review for PW of a book called DEARLY DEVOTED DEXTER about a serial killer who kills serial killers (and other bad guys); he calls this game "slice the slasher." I was thinking it was "slash the slasher," so it was a good thing I double-checked. I tried finding it on the audiobook without much luck, then gave up and started googling until I found confirmation that it was the former.

And I agree that reviewing is pretty cool.

E Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   

Neat interview. Interesting insight by JJA on reviewing audiobooks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register