September 2005 issue Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Issues - Tables of Contents, Discussion » September 2005 issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 06:57 pm:   

The September issue is shipping a week late---the printer tells me it's "due to the extreme volume and mechanical errors we have experienced." We're going to try to get the subscription copies out on schedule, but they might be a few days late.

Frankie Machine
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   

Got a TOC to tide us over?

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 04:00 am:   

I'll post it when I get back from Readercon. The issue has stories by David Gerrold, Bruce Sterling, and Carter Scholz, plus Kelly Link's "Magic fror Beginners." More to come in a few days.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 08:18 pm:   

THE MAGAZINE OF
FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION
September 56th Year of Publication

NOVELLAS
Magic for BeginnersS -46- Kelly Link

SHORT STORIES
A Quantum Bit Exists in Two States Simultaneously: On -8- David Gerrold
Age of Miracles -35- Richard Mueller
I Didn't Know What Time It Was -97- Carter Scholz
What I Owe to Rick -106- Arthur Porges
The Housewarming -108- Albert E. Cowdrey
The Denial -133- Bruce Sterling
A Quantum Bit Exists in Two States Simultaneously: Off -150- David Gerrold

DEPARTMENTS
Books to Look For -21- Charles de Lint
Books 25- Robert K.J. Killheffer
Plumage from Pegasus: Soul Mining - 92- Paul Di Filippo
Coming Attractions -127-
Films: Of Mice and Long-Awaited Movies -128- Kathi Maio
Curiosities -162- Darrell Schweitzer

CARTOONS: Danny Shanahan (91), J.P. Rini (96), Arthur Masear (105).
COVER: BY MICHAEL GARLAND FOR "A QUANTUM BIT EXISTS IN TWO STATES"

kellys
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   

"Magic for Beginners" is a brilliant story.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:49 am:   

I doubt you'll get much argument on that assertion.

Funny, after the issue went to press, I remembered that we also ran Ron Goulart's "Black Magic for Dummies" a few years ago. I think we're going to have to move up to advanced magic soon, maybe introduce some graduate-level courses . . .

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

Our subscription copies of the September issue arrived in Hoboken today.

John Thiel
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 02:49 pm:   

Ah, hm, a chocolate bunny on the cover tempts me to take the issue in hand. Chocolate is sinful, though; I'll have to be careful. It's like when you put Gummi on the covers from time to time.

And I see that it illustrates a new story by David Gerrold. I'm not sure what's so right on about his story title...oh, there's another one that says off. He seems to be weaving one of his moebius patterns on the contents page. Well, I know the author of THE MAN WHO FOLDED HIMSELF is going to have a mature plot construction...I think I'll wait for just awhile before seeing what he's written. Going on to Porges, I think Chantacleer was the real name of that rooster, and, how many eggs will this story have in it? Porges shows himself again to be a good storyteller in this one.

Your cartoons seem to be getting funnier.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 08:29 am:   

Tangent Online review: http://www.tangentonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=468&Itemi d=259

R.Wilder
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

I just finished "Magic For Beginners," an instant classic. Kelly Link is a magician. This story left me breathless. There's a copy of her first collection at Schuler Books & Music and I'm going to get in the car right now and go buy it. Because I have to.

Michael Samerdyke
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:15 am:   

Nothing really stood out for me this issue. There were four stories that I liked, but I didn't think they were great.

I liked the two David Gerrold stories, which were amusing and thought provoking. I would rate "Off" better than "On," because I liked the growing atmosphere of entrapment.

I liked "Magic for Beginners" and "The Denial," but I also had problems with them. "Magic" seemed to go on too long to leave everything unresolved, both in the TV show and in Jeremy's life. "The Denial" had a good Balkan setting, but the dialog sounded utterly contemporary instead of 18th Century, and the shift from a specific couple to a parable of universal application (which is what I guess the author was trying for at the end) didn't really work for me.

I look forward to the Anniversary issue.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:40 am:   

Review:

http://www.irosf.com/q/zine/article/10180

(Yes, you have to subscribe to read it, but it's FREE!)

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   

Review:

http://sfrevu.com/Review-id.php?id=3112

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 04:45 pm:   

Not a review, but nice things said about the Sept. issue:

http://notesfromcoodestreet.blogspot.com/2005/08/fantasy-and-science-fiction.htm l

Alan Yee
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:20 am:   

Thanks to the kind folks at F&SF, I am now a Kelly Link fan! I have to go buy both of her collections now!

Sara Fishman
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 08:43 am:   

I enjoyed Gerrold's stories, especially the first (because I was in a very mellow mood when I read them). But--could someone please suggest to me how the two parts of the Quantum Bits story relate to two states of the same quantum bit? I realize this is kind of like asking to have the punchline of a joke spelled out, but I've always been accused of being too analytical. Thanks.

Rick Hauptmann
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 02:38 pm:   

The Sept issue finally got to eastern New Mexico today. Can't wait to get into it.

E Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 08:30 am:   

The way I understood it--and I had serious questions about it too--is that in both of the "chocolate bunny" stories the narrator had the potential to be good (a saint) and bad (the mass murderer type of bad). In both stories he had the potential for either, but it seems in the first tale he was going on to fulfill the first potential and in the second tale he was going to fulfill the second potential. But then Pope Dan removed him to an island so he didn't--so, um, I'm not sure either.

Liz
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 06:44 pm:   

The bunny on the cover looks sinister. I was expecting a horror story. ;)

E Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   

Calling David Gerrold...a fan was wondering about your Chtorr series and continued existence on the Asimov's board here.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   

Jetse posted some interesting thoughts about "Magic For Beginners" in this other thread:

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=378&post=85479#POST85 479

Beware, it's spoileriffic.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 08:19 am:   

Review:

http://www.bestsf.net/reviews/fsf0509.html

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 05:25 pm:   

I read "Magic For Beginners" and liked it, but not as much as some of you. It's written with wit and skill, no doubt. As for speaking to any paticular generation, I don't think it does. It could speak to any generation that grew up with T.V. The library reminds me of children's shows that can seem like a magical world to a child. I think it's in part, a satire. With everything in the Library described as the enchanted whatever -- the horror writer dad, etc. And it deals with serious issues, like parents in a disintegrating marriage, conflicted juvenile crushes, that a lot of people these days can relate to (I know I can).

But what does the story suggest? That kids should escape into T.V. land? That's one of my problems with it. Yes, the story is more subtle than that, and the ending could be interpreted differently. I do kind of like the idea of this television show, which is so important to these kids, seeping into, and effecting their reality. Because there's truth in that. Television does affect kid's realities.

"The Housewarming" and "The Denial", I thought were two of the strongest stories in the issue. Also liked "I didn't Know What Time It Was" and the Gerrold stories. "What I Owe To Rick" was a clever little flash. The only story I didn't read was "Age of Miricles", which I started but didn;t get into. I might give it another shot, but alternate history usually isn't my thing so I'll probably move on to the double...

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 07:29 pm:   

Did I ever post the results to this issue's poll? An overwhelming winner:

Magic for Beginners - Kelly Link 72% 36

The Housewarming - Albert E. Cowdrey 8% 4

I wasn't overly impressed with any of them. 8% 4

A Quantum Bit...On - David Gerrold 4% 2

The Denial - Bruce Sterling 4% 2

A Quantum Bit...Off - David Gerrold 2% 1

Age of Miracles - Richard Mueller 2% 1

I Didn't Know What Time It Was - Carter Scholz 0% 0

What I Owe to Rick - Arthur Porges 0% 0

total votes: 50

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register