Interview with Brian Bieniowski, slus... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » General Magazines Discussion » Interview with Brian Bieniowski, slush reader of Asimov's « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 06:53 pm:   

Slush Writer Appreciation Month continues! Today, I posted a new interview with Brian Bieniowski, who reads slush for ASIMOV'S.

In this excerpt, Mr. Bieniowski discusses what's wrong with media SF:

It's funny how so many reviews by SF fans of sci-fi films take this tone: "If only film could portray the magnitude and majesty of written Speculative Fiction! Philip K. Dick is rolling in his grave and weeping in heaven! Why can't we get the attention and due we deserve?"

My first thought is always that these people take blockbuster movies a little too seriously. And I'm seriously skeptical of the thought that a few honest-to-god serious SF movies would magically change the public's opinion of the genre, in print or media. I really don't think John Q. Public gives much of a care to think about these cultural debates at all. It's always sci-fi people discussing it. Everybody else says, "I enjoyed reading Dune, but Star Wars really wasn't my thing." Or vice versa. Or maybe you're like me and enjoy both for what they are.

Thus, why worry what the sociological effects of Star Wars, or whatever you choose, are? This hunting and gathering in so many articles for a widespread legitimacy for SF in media seems unnecessary and impotent, like kids on a playground yelling "one day you'll see how important we are!" as they struggle with their wedgies.

Read more:
http://www.tuginternet.com/jja/journal/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register