Interview with George Tucker, author ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Authors » Interview with George Tucker, author of "Welcome to Justice 2.0" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 08:20 pm:   

Over on my blog, I just posted an interview with "Welcome to Justice 2.0" (Jan. 2004) author George Tucker.

In this excerpt, Mr. Tucker discusses the limitations of SF:

I don't mean to raise hackles when I say this, but I think the limitations of SF are its readers. I think SF readers tend to have minds more open to new and different ideas than many, but I also think they expect a certain kind of story and are disappointed when they don't get it. By the way, readers are also the salvation of SF and of the publishing industry itself.

The commercial publishing industry compounds this limitation by producing the same soulless books over and over (Honor Harrington, anyone?), thereby ingraining not a genre but a type of story in SF readers. So the cycle perpetuates itself.

Independent publishing houses and tiny magazines will continue to fight the good fight, publishing the revolutionary side-by-side with the turgid and unreadable. Amid all this, great writers continue to publish great books and bad writers continue to publish bad books and the rest of us struggle to be heard.

Read more:
http://www.tuginternet.com/jja/journal/
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

TCO
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 08:11 pm:   

My mom bought me that honor harrington thing. I did not get more than a page or two into it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register