Interview with Jeremy Minton, Author ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Authors » Interview with Jeremy Minton, Author of "Halfway House" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 05:03 pm:   

Over on my blog, I just posted an interview with "Halfway House" (Jan. 2003) author Jeremy Minton.

In this excerpt, Mr. Minton discusses the genesis of his story:

"I started with the just the phrase: 'Halfway House,' a midpoint between two places, not really belonging to either. The ideas which eventually turned into the story all arose out of that basic notion. Thus: the two places turned out to be the Earth and an alien planet. The people in the house turned out to be colonists seeking to escape from Earth and take up life on the new world. The challenge they faced--because there always has to be a challenge, doesn't there? A price to be paid for whatever might be gained--was that in order to be accepted as a colonist they had to sacrifice their humanity. They had to design a new physical shape, a new kind of life, which would be capable of surviving in a strange and hostile environment. Various other things got dragged in: an ecologically ruined earth, aliens who offered an ambiguous kind of salvation, a woman who held the fate of souls in her ageless and, ultimately unhappy hands. Nearly always there is something that is core to the story and then there's a whole bunch of other stuff which just has to be there to get the core to work. The core is always easy. It's all the other stuff that takes the time and the effort. Dreaming it up, working it out, writing it up so that it doesn't feel like a prop."

Read more:
http://www.tuginternet.com/jja/journal/
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

^Nice interview. 'Halfway House' still stands out very clearly in my mind, even though it's been a couple of years.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register